• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hole on skin under stoma?

Hi just wondering if anyone has an idea on what this is?
A few days ago I had some broken red skin just below stoma. This has since changed into a hole about 2 mm wide and 2mm deep to now being 4mm wide and 2mm deep and not circular now but more oval? It is not touching my stoma but stings when I am cleaning and putting on new bag. Any ideas would be appreciated.

It sounds like you might have a fistula, I never had one when I had my Stoma by hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon.

Best of luck with it all, do you have a Stoma nurse who could have a look at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nogutsnoglory

It could be a fistula or raw skin that's getting worse. Either way I think a stoma nurse needs to assess. If it's a fistula your GI will need to address.

Thanks for your replies, I am going to see my stoma nurse tomorrow so hopefully she will give me something. I am just very impatient lol.

PsychoJane

If you have like a circle surrounding it where you feel the skin is way denser, harder than the rest around, I would believe it could be a fistula. The "hole" phase of my fistula would not last and the digestive tissue would then stick out about the size of a pencil eraser.

What you describe sounds more like pyoderma gangrenosum type of lesion. Is it painful?
It could also be pressure ulcers.

Here is a link showing both in order to avoid you the Google image event... Sometimes the pictures are pretty shocking so if you can discriminate with these one I think it would be more pleasant for you.

http://www.convatec.ca/ostomy/living-with-a-stoma/peristomal-skin-health/types-of-skin-problems

Hi everyone,

Just been to see my stoma nurse, no infection in wound and I have never yet had a bag leak- thankfully! She thinks it might be a tight stitch that has broke away and the skin has went raw and formed a hole. To go back on Monday to check still ok and put a plasticene like putty ring thing round it to keep it clean. Thanks for all your suggestions again. :)

Oh that's good that you got it seen so quickly and a relief too!
Hope it clears up nicely with the barrier ring, they're great for stopping leaks and protecting bits of skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk