• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Home Made Farmers Goat Cheese

I discovered that I can not eat cheeses made out of cows milk without a stomach problem after BUT cheese made from goats milk and sheep’s milk does not negatively affect my belly. Of couse I eat the cheese in moderation. I decided to make my own goats milk, you can not get any purer and fresher then this!

Ingredients:
2 quarts goats milk (i got mine from trader joes)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Recipe: Home Made Farmers Goat Cheese
By: SARAH CHOUEIRY
SATURDAY, FEB. 9, 2013, 6:26 PM — No comments
Categories: My Everyday, Recipes/Food
I discovered that I can not eat cheeses made out of cows milk without a stomach problem after BUT cheese made from goats milk and sheep’s milk does not negatively affect my belly. Of couse I eat the cheese in moderation. I decided to make my own goats milk, you can not get any purer and fresher then this!

Ingredients:

2 quarts of goats milk (I purchased mine from trader joes)

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

Tools needed:

stainless steal pot: big enough to hold the goats milk
wooden spatula: for stirring
cheese cloth or a good paper towel over a spagetti strainer
small round bowl: to pack the cheese into when done to help mold it

Instructions:

Place the goats milk in the pot and place the heat on medium/high.

Stir the milk occasionally, making sure to scrape the bottom so nothing sticks or burns.

Once it begins to boil, turn of the heat and add the vinegar, stirring a couple times to incorporate it in.

You are going to see little curds of cheese forming, let it sit there for 5 minutes.

Place the cheese cloth in the spagetti sifter (I used a good paper towel).

Side Note: Depending if you want to save the liquid that will come from the cheese, you can place a bowl underneath or just place the spagetti strainer in the sink. I have heard that the liquid is very nutritious and used for things like soup, but I need to do more research on that.

Pour the cheese and its liquid into the strainer and with your wooden spoon press down to release all the liquids, and drain it out.

Once drained, place the cheese on a plate and sprinkle salt on top.

Mix the salt into the cheese using a fork and taste. If it needs more salt, you can add more.

Place the cheese in a bowl and pack it in, use the back of a spoon to flatten out the surface.

Cover with a piece of plastic wrap tightly, against the surface of the cheese and place in the fridge.

In an hour you can remove the cheese and serve it on a plate with some sun dried tomatoes or sprinkle of herbs. Whatever you want! as you get more creative, you can place different flavors in the middle of the block of cheese while packing it into your small bowl.

For images of the recipe you can visit it here: (sorry i suck and getting images on my posts lol and there is like 10 of them :) )

http://thecrohnsjourneyfoundation.org/recipe-home-made-farmers-goat-cheese/