• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Home treatment partial obstruction

Hi all. New to this forum. As background, have had very minor CD for 35 years. Resection 30 yrs ago. In intervening years I have had probably 5 hospitalizations for flare ups. 2 yrs ago, had a rather serious bout which was diagnosed as an adhesion causing a complete blockage. Xrays showed my small intestine was the size of a softball. Pain was so bad, it was the cause of my first ever ambulance ride. Couldn't handle the car. I was lucky, and 4 days of NG tube, drugs and rest calmed it down.
Anyways, my hospital has always been excellent. When I show up, never any appreciable wait...ushered right in and off to work they go. I guess my file must tell the story.
So, night before last, started having an issue. Waves of uncomfortable cramping (not comparatively strong enough to call 'pain'), and vomiting of my last meal. I've gone to liquid only, and the symptoms have eased. My stomach is not distended, the crampy discomfort is less than hourly, and I hear lots of gurgling. I've had a few BM's, mostly liquid, but some small amounts of solid. There is an ache in my stomach when I stand, but once again, it's not pain.
I think I have dodged a bullet this time. I believe it is more likely an adhesion than a flare up, but don't know. Was debating putting myself back on a low dose of pred for a few days. Any thoughts?
I know self diagnosis and self medication is frowned on. But it's a weekend...ER will have no GI's, surgeons or XRAY techs on, so it will be a pain so to speak. If symptoms get serious, I will too, but I don't want to call in the cavalry when I don't feel it's dire. Suggestions?

thanks for asking. On the rebound. I chickened out on self med, went off food for 2 days, and slept a lot. Eased backed into it. Still a little bloated, but I'm back to about 90%. I don't know if it was a flare up or a minor adhesion, but I'm better. I've lived with this for 32 years, just another bump. I'm very lucky. Only one surgery and a half dozen hospital admissions, no recurring prescriptions in those years. It doesn't mess up my life like others. Thanks for asking.