• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Horse meat scandal & IBD ?.

nogutsnoglory

I don't see why there would be any connection. While most of us would find the idea of eating horse meat reprehensible, there is no real ethical or probably health difference than eating cow. If anything horse might be healthier!

"In humans, bone marrow, renal, cardiovascular and gastrointestinal side effects are associated with use of Phenylbutazone."

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Especially as it is found in food grade horse meat despite being banned - heaven knows what is in horse meat that has been criminally inserted into the food chain.

Last edited:
I don't think peoples issue is that it's horse meat, it's that it's being sold as beef, so they expect beef.

After hearing today about how it could be criminally done, that's scary. they have also said they haven't been able to to trace where the meat has come from, which again, is not very reassuring.

I did hear on the news that it could possibly have come from a Romanian Abattoir, which horses infected with 'horse aids' have been... But I think that is all media scaremongering.

I agree a lot of it is going to be the media hyping it up. This is just the kinda thing they love! The FSA have said it isn't a health issue, but as you guys say its worrying we don't know the origin. I also think this could open the doors to a lot more. If they have done this to this extent then how do we trust any of our lables? Who is to say vegetarian food is even vegetarian? Who knows what is in what we eat...

rygon

I think the problem is that Bute vaccination that could have been in the horses, but to have a link to IBD would be very iimprobable

Think I'll make this Reason #457 of, "Why I cook from scratch and don't buy or consume pre processed foods."

I did see something about anti inflammatories they give the horses what are illegal for humans hmmmm
ya never know it could help haha

Yes the main issue is the mislabelling and also that the meat is not known to be fit for consumption to the standard we have set.

HD

Apparently, this stuff is more widespread than I thought. Thinking back, I was diagnosed/had surgery days after trying to save money in college and buying cheaper meat. This was at a chain grocery's meat counter which labeled it some sort of steak from the United Kingdom. Being broke and unthinking, I bought this stuff to save a couple bucks when I could have bought Midwestern beef... Coincidence?

rygon

I think this a new thing as MRM and MDM has recently been changed to "not meat" by the UK food industry (its still allowed to be used, but not called meat). This and the cheap suplus horse in possibly Poland, due to horses not being allowed on the road, has helped cause this scandal.

kiny

I think it's crazy. Stuff like this is ridiculous to me, not because they got horse meat instead of bovine meat, but the fact it got this far into the food chain before anyone even noticed.

Its Fraud. By the sound of it Horse meat is way cheaper than beef. The provider of meat may have found a supply of horse that he can blend in with beef. He gets the same price but his outlay is considerably less.
Grant

rygon

Im with LMV, its the media that has the problem with it, most other ppl arent bothered about eating horsemeat. It is bad that they conned everyone (what else have they put into it) but c'mon what do you expect to be eating when you are buying a whole lasagne for £1

kiny

Don't really mind for the horse meat, but if this slips past authorities what else slips past them I wonder.

I'm pretty sure, in the US, nearly all the imported fish/seafood isn't checked whatsoever. Something like 90% isn't inspected.

I'm pretty sure, in the US, nearly all the imported fish/seafood isn't checked whatsoever. Something like 90% isn't inspected.
I find that surprising tbh. I used to send IT equipment to the States & the procedures to get the stuff past Customs could be exhaustive.
Out of all the Countries going I'd be surprised if the USA isn't one of the strictest tbh.
Rgds
Grant

Well, I was wrong. It's something like 98%. Most problematic foreign seafood (tuna, salmon, shrimp) seems to be raised on animal/pig/human manure and a steady diet of banned antibiotics. Mind you this was 2011:

"Only about 1 percent is inspected, and only 0.1 percent is tested for banned drug residues, according to the U.S. Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress."

"More than 51 percent of the seafood that was inspected and turned away from ports was filthy, meaning it was spoiled or contained physical abnormalities, or it was contaminated with a foodborne pathogen. About 20 percent of those cases involved salmonella, according to the News21 analysis of FDA import refusal data."

"Alabama scientists tested 258 samples of catfish and a related species from China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia and Cambodia from 2002 to 2010. Forty-four percent of samples tested positive for an antibiotic used to treat pneumonia and tuberculosis. The FDA banned the same antibiotic for use in produce and fish in 1997." http://foodsafety.news21.com/2011/imports/seafood

That's not to say the FDA actually cares about your health. The US is one of the few developed countries that has no upper limit for the application of (another unlabled ingredient, like upcoming GMO salmon) STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate) which the FDA deems GRAS (generally recognized as safe). Its a neurotoxin that makes spoiled fish less runny and appear A-OK. It's said to add a soapy, alkaline taste to white, flaky fish. Yum.

They've got better things to do; like SWAT team raids on raw food co-ops and putting the owners in solitary confinement. Google: James Stewart Rawesome foods or here: http://www.naturalnews.com/033220_Rawesome_Foods_armed_raids.html

The mane (haha had to be done) issue is as others has said the mis selling i saw that its come from Romania? possible criminal charges will be brought upon the perpetrators. its false advertisement and in the UK horses are seen as pets rather than food.. noone wants to eat black beauty.
If you think your buying beef you want beef.. if they sold it as horse lasagne noone would buy it.

On a side note b&q has also been caught up in this scandal... their flooring has laminit
teehee