• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How best to take Questran

Hey,

I've used questran before (colestryramine) before but it didnt work but i decided to start up again as i have 0 life lol (due to D) i have 2 sachets in the morning before i eat and it seems to be better but 24hours from that time i go to the toilet like 3 times in a row (and go during the day but not as frequent) before i take it again maybe even shortly after I've taken it, so I've tried taking another sachet in the evening and i still get the same sort of problem and i still don't feel comfortable going out and taking it i have to take it eat something then wait an hour or 2 then i can go out for a short while feeling comfortable-ish lol so i think its clear my Diarrhea is due to bile acids.

anyone else in a similar situation or found a solution and can shine some light on the situation that'd be greatly appreciated.

How do you take your "bile acid binder"?
i have to take loperamide too if i have to go somewhere and not eat after my meal with my questran, even then i don't feel safe.

before i had any operation or anything i used to use the toilet 4 times a day lol but the difference then was i could hold it and with this questran my stool arent so so runny so maybe i can hold it but i get way too anxious lol.

i just want a life :(

Last edited:
Everyone has there own experiences with medications, but I have been taking 2 Cholestyramine Packets a day for at least 13 years. I dont take both packets at the same time. Occassionally, if constipated I have only taken 1 packet per day ( but only for 1 day. ) I suffered terribly from yellow, watery diarrhea for a long time before I got prescribed the Cholestyramine Powder. Actually my Primary Care Physician prescribed it for me at the time, as I had no diagnosis yet, had not seen a Gastroenterologist and had not had a colonoscopy. Without this medicine I would be in the hospital with yellow, watery diarrhea, dry heaves, nausea and vomiting and one sick gut, that is for sure. I still hate the taste and the texture. I dont necessarily take it with food. I just took one dose a short while ago, but had to stare at the cup for 1/2 hour before I could say"bottoms up" and drink it.
Hope you start feeling better 🌻

the normal questran is definitely more better than the questran light but my chemist cant seem to give me the right one so i blend the questran light and it isnt so bad like. so can you not eat and take it and it'll still work ? sorry just trying to grasp exactly how it works lol because youre meant to take it with food apparently lol and do you have a specific diet or just stay away from certain foods?

Thanks for the response <3

Last edited: