• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How can I stop the bleeding?

Another superflare started in early December and is now accelerating with vigor. I am bleeding more than I ever have before, literally at least a teaspoon full 5-10 times per day. I started smoking again, upped my lialda dosage, and amped up my canasa and cortifoam useage...whats left to do???

As for the smoking - I had always been a Marlboro Lights smoker but have only been smoking American Spirit perique - could Marlboro lights have some toxin that helps stop reduce the flare???

I am worried about doing Humira or Remicade as I have had a couple of bad PSA results lately and next one means biopsy - Ive read those drugs can really accelerate cancer.

Thanks

I'm so sorry to read of the troubles you are going through, and hope you find a solution soon to settle down your flare.

I would be concerned to discuss smoking with you, as you have both Crohns and UC listed as your diagnosis.
It is thought that smoking "could be" beneficial in controlling the bleeding for those with UC, but it has a less than favorable effect on people with Crohns.

My husband was diagnosed with UC in March of last year, after quitting smoking a year prior. I don't want to condone smoking to anyone, but he continued to bleed even after being prescribed Lialda, Asacol, Imuran, Prednisone and then finally Humira combined with Imuran.
The bleeding did not cease until he started smoking a couple of cigarettes a day.

While controlling the bleeding will help some symptoms of this disease, such as anemia, it does not stop the damage being done.
My husband eventually had to have his colon removed in September, and while he no longer has UC symptoms, he now has a mean nicotine addiction.

I wish you the best in finding something that works for you. I'll be rooting for you!