• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How close did you stick to the post surgery diet?

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Okay, so I was release around noon, I am at home healing well, moving by the grace of painkillers that are gram for gram as strong as heroin.

Now I went out and grabbed a bite to eat with my room mate. Had a burger with no toppings beyond cheese and ketchup, and fries.

SO I looked down and realised they were covered in skin, so I ended up eating around the potato skin.

How far did people stray from the post surgery ileostomy diet?

ekay03

My dog has hands!
True story: after my resection (left open to heal due to infection) they would not let me eat anything until I passed gas or had a bm, and days passed and no bowel sounds. I am doing all the right things, I am walking around and nothing. On day three (day 2 they took out the NG tube) I was just sooo hungry and the smell of my neighbors food... So she eats her dinner and puts it aside w/a fully intact backed potato, and goes to sleep. I slipped out of my bed, sooo painful, this was a big operation but I digress. So I took that potato and I ate it. I did not care about the consequences. Anyway the next morning, bowels sounds!! I think that potato helped me! Other than that I pretty much stuck to a regular soft food diet.

Nyx

I had my fiance go and get me Wendys while I was still in the hospital. Jr. Bacon Cheesburger and a bacon and cheese baked potatoe. I ate the whole thing...it was wonderful...

vickyoddsocks

wears odd socks
Id say be careful. I had my surgery April 14th, i ate potato skins the other day and it scared me how whole they came out (i thought id chewed them more than that!) I've also already had a blockage because of brocolli and strawberrys (not together), so be weary and enjoy being allowed to not have fruit and veg! lol!

I ate veggies only when they were cooked and I chewed the heck out of them. This was within 2 weeks of surgery. I didn't venture into fruit for about 4 weeks and had some trouble with all of the fibre. Still haven't been brave enough to try things like chili or tacos, I hate gas pain so much!
I'm also scared to try popcorn, and that was by far my most favourite food on the planet. Soon grasshoppa...

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
The diet is basically no insoluble fibre with some additional restrictions. No nuts or seeds, no rice, no fried foods, no whole wheat or whole grain products.

Any vegetables must be peeled, seeds removed and over cooked. Products made with refined white flour are fine, meat and dairy are fine.

When you are getting discharged they will give you a list of what is allowed.

Terriernut

Wow...they didnt give me a diet plan at all. They just said watch out for hard to digest stuff like nuts and seeds, which I still havent tried. I mean I had xmas dinner 3 days after surgery!

I wonder if its because I had an ileostomy or what???

Terriernut

Jason, I really think you should try rice and stuff. As for skin on fruit, I still cant digest it. But just try different things, cautiously and see how it goes!

I may be more stubborn or stupid (ahem) than most, but I ate mexican food after I got home. KFC, McDonalds, pizza, you name it. No issues.

Terriernut

lol @ it's more likely the hospital. If it was at the L&D, Misty, it's DEFINITELY the hospital lol.
Michelle, the L&D probably hoped I'd kill myself! :rof::ycool:

First night home...Wine....many many fags....KFC. Next day...wine...many fags....McDonalds....next day wine...many fags...MEXICAN!!!!!!

Hahaha I think I'll soon be known on here as the girl with a passionate hate to some place known as the 'L&D' lol!

But wow, you were ok with all that?! That certainly is one impressive diet! haha.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Misty - The dietician specifically said to avoid rice for 6 weeks. the reason is rice grains are very small, as such they don't get chewed properly. Rice just continues to absorb water and can lead to blockages. He stated the purpose of this diet was not one for nutrition but solely to maintain stoma function and avoid any stress that could disrupt the healing process.
My first proper out of the hospital meal was a cheese burger, which has almost no fibre.

Terriernut

A dietician...we dont have no stinking dieticians in Luton! (i wish!)

Recommended I have lots of rice to slow the output of Stan.

Did I mention had a whopping big Chinese dinner after the night of Mexican food?? NOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also need to mention, I have Crohns Colitis...no issues with the small bowel. (its a wonder with my diet eh??) That could explain my lack of dietary advice a bit!?

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I was told marshmallows and potato crisps (as most of the people in this thread are Brits, I figured I'd go with the lingua franca) to help thicken things up.

And on the list they specifically said no "Chinese vegetables", I assume due to high insoluble fibre.

Terriernut

I admit to not eating the stringy looking veggies in the chinese...(hangs head in shame)

I do now, but they just dont get digested. I think without the large bowel working on my behalf, I cant digest it.

By all means, behave yourself! Everyone! Never do what I do.
It's a wonder I'm speaking to ya'll at all innit?? (i'm a yank Jason...but lived here in uk for a long time)

No need for the potato before the crisps, Jason. Crisps are crisps and chips are just chips.

Where did you go for the chinese, Misty? Man Ho in Bury Park is my fav. Oh my word, I'm hungry now and I just had tea, too! I don't bother with the veggies, either. I just eat all the meat. YUMMM