• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How common is feeling very full?

I feel very full soon after just a snack.

My colonoscopies have been fairly good with low inflammation and no scarring. I also haven't had surgery.

I'm going to try and bring it up again with my doctor.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I wondered if it could be a stomach issue.

This happens to me a lot. My GI says I have IBS along with crohns. It's frustrating as I never feel like eating, and when I do eat it's usually a small amount. Other than that I just let it be. Doesn't cause any pain. So I don't stress over it much. I just eat small meals frequently

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Idiom, if you haven't already, ask to be checked for gastroparesis. There's a gastric emptying test that they can do - if your stomach doesn't empty properly, that could account for the feeling of fullness after just a snack. I'm tagging Maya142 because she knows much more about gastroparesis than I do. In my limited knowledge, though, it sure sounds like you should at least be investigated for it.

I do, I have duodenal activity and this is a major symptom for me.

When I'm really bad I won't eat at all save for a few sticks of cheese and things. Any more than that and I'm uncomfortably full.

Do you also experience weight loss with this, or heartburn and reflux? If so I think it's worth an upper GI scope just to rule it out. I was riddled with ulcers and severe inflammation the first time, but after a few months on a strong PPI the ulcers had cleared up. Just working on the inflammation now lol.

It could well be IBS or something else as others said, I believe gastro duodenal Crohn's is unusual, but if there's more going on I would definitely get it checked out.

Good luck!

Everyone is different but seven years ago I had a flare up. With this particular flare, I could not finish a meal sometimes.

Maya142

Staff member
Inflammation can slow gastric emptying. Have you had an endoscopy recently? It's possible there is inflammation in your stomach or duodenum that is causing this.

If there is no inflammation, I'd look into gastroparesis, delayed gastric emptying. Typically, a gastric emptying test is done to see how fast food leaves the stomach. If more than 10% of the meal is left after 4 hours, then you have gastroparesis. It's a fairly easy test.

Motility medications can speed up gastric emptying. There are also diet changes that can help - eating small, low fat and low fiber meals.

The typical symptoms of gastroparesis are nausea with meals, feeling full after only a few bites, abdominal pain after meals, vomiting, weight loss etc.

Sophabulous, crohn's first made its appearance in my duodenum, and really high dose PPIs were really helpful for me as well. That's the only treatment I was on at the time (the ulcers were really awful, and I had a stricture as well) and my GI was surprised I healed so well. Were you taking anything else in addition to the PPP? The only way my GI found them was that I became severely anemic--there was no iron left in my body as I found out after a bone marrow biopsy. Then my GI scoped me and found the crohn's. I still have problems absorbing iron, though, and when I was hospitalized for a week last year my duodenum and part of my jejunum were inflamed so my hemoglobin was under 10 again.

Sophabulous, crohn's first made its appearance in my duodenum, and really high dose PPIs were really helpful for me as well. That's the only treatment I was on at the time (the ulcers were really awful, and I had a stricture as well) and my GI was surprised I healed so well. Were you taking anything else in addition to the PPP? The only way my GI found them was that I became severely anemic--there was no iron left in my body as I found out after a bone marrow biopsy. Then my GI scoped me and found the crohn's. I still have problems absorbing iron, though, and when I was hospitalized for a week last year my duodenum and part of my jejunum were inflamed so my hemoglobin was under 10 again.

Hi Jaybee!

Same story, I presented with massive weight loss and loss of appetite/feeling full very quickly. I was referred for an upper GI scope which detected the inflammation and ulcers but this wasn't biopsied so I was diagnosed with H Pylori. I was ok on omeprazole for a few months but never gained back any weight. After taking 2 courses of antibiotics and 6 months of omeprazole they deemed me cured and told me to stop the omeprazole at which point I went downhill very quickly and I lost a further half a stone in about a week as I just couldn't eat at all.

They decided to re-scope and take biopsies which suggested Crohn's. MRI & colonoscopy later it was confirmed in my duodenum and terminal ileum. I'm now on azathioprine but in 8 months and yet another course of steroids it's done nothing so a biologic being considered!

I was also iron & B12 deficient, I have b12 injections now and a few months of iron tablets brought that back to normal - just monitoring now!

Nice to speak to someone so similar, wishing you all the best x