• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How did it start?

I was wondering....when you developed Crohn's, how did it start?

In my case, one day I had a loose bm for no apparent reason...and I never
really recovered.

I woke up with right side/back pain. Originally thought possible kidney stone, then the pain moved to more RLQ and fever. Doctor thought appendicitis and since could not see the appendix on any scan admitted me to hospital and did a laporoscopy (removed appendix even though it was good). Ever since that first bout of RLQ pain, haven't had that type of pain since. Mostly upper abdomen/stomach discomfort.

Not sure. I've had stomach pain and D since as long as I can
remember, even as a little girl. Got life threatening though when
my appendix ruptured almost 2 years ago, and haven't recovered
from that particular flare yet.

I remember eating dinner, and a couple of hours later thinking that the food didn't sit right in my stomach since i had D and really bad stomach pains. After months I pretty much knew something was wrong and went to the ER.

H

heathie318

I was on my way home from school and had to run into the house because I was gonna have an accident and I didn't make it.

It all started that day.

I posted a similar thread awhile back in the Anything Goes section if I recall correctly.

I was in a restaurant and suddenly had to run to the bathroom immediately after eating and after a couple months of this happening I finally drew the connection that I'd get sick after I ate, I had also lost quite a bit of weight at this point and went to get help.

I just started having diarrhea daily, usually about 2-3 times. After about a month of that I went to the doctor who tried various antibiotics which didn't work. Finally had a CT scan after about 2 months and ended up in the hospital for a week with a very inflamed colon and huge abscesses. Had a colonoscopy while there and was diagnosed with CD. Interestingly, I had very little pain, mainly just with BMs.

H

Heathie

It's interesting how it just sorta "happened" to everyone.

Boo :thumbdown:

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
For me, it was 2-3 weeks of non-stop diarrhea coupled with stomach soreness (like a cramp). Doc thought it was appendicitis so sent me to ER as a precaution. Negative results led to them suggesting I see a GI. One colonoscopy later and TADA!

mine lurked around for years before it settled into a definite abnormal bowel pattern.. started off with achey knees as a child, then occasional stomach aches, constipation etc.. and then i had more years before diagnosis because the GP didn't believe me :(

welcome Heathie, by the way - glad you joined us :)

M

mmarsell

I got really constipated and after a couple weeks the pain got worse and worse. It was like a swirling ball of fire in my lower abdomen and I couldn't even stand up straight. I thought I had appendicitis and was surprised to find out the same day I went to the hospital that I had Crohn's.

wasn't sudden for me. i got progressively worse for about 6 months before i told my parents. the diagnosis soon followed!

dingbat said:
mine lurked around for years before it settled into a definite abnormal bowel pattern.. started off with achey knees as a child, then occasional stomach aches, constipation etc.. and then i had more years before diagnosis because the GP didn't believe me :(

welcome Heathie, by the way - glad you joined us :)
Many Doctors did not believe me, I guess u have to look a certain way? :ymad: :yrolleyes: :eek: I hate that when doctors do not believe in their patients. They took an oath " First do no harm" so not believing in u is harming u, right?

for me it was tummy aches from about age 3 on. i cant remember of course, but parents tell me thats when the complaints started. then in sept 98 i had bronchitis like 3 times and was on antibiotics forevvvver. the meds wiped out the good bacteria in my gut and the bad one called c-diff took over. finally rushed to the ER just before halloween when a sip of water would send me running to the potty. c-diff was taken care of, but never fully recoverd, my tummy was still hurting. so in january of the new year had upper&lower GI studies and a colonoscopy and crohns was the dx. days before my 9th birthday. lovely present, yeah?

I'm a bit of an odd-ball here it seems. I just had a routine colonoscopy (since I'd had one 5 years ago, they wanted me to have another one now) and was told I had Crohn's after an EGD and some bloodwork that came a couple weeks later. I never suspected a thing. For the month or so before the colonoscopy, I had some bleeding, but figured it was from fissures or hemorrhoids or whatever. I had stomach pains, but I've had stomach pains my whole life. I pretty much thought everyone had stomach pains on a daily basis and I never said much about them as they really never caused me any huge problems.

So my diagnosis came right out of the clear, blue sky. You could have knocked me over with a feather I was so shocked when I found out. I do have 3 1/2 other autoimmune diseases, so I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a surprise, but it was. The 1/2 is fibromyalgia. Some docs say autoimmune, some don't. The other three are Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Psoriasis, and Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. I have to wonder if the UCTD will change now that I have Crohn's.........I see my rheumy in Feb. so I guess I'll find out then.

I was camping in Cornwall England and remember going to the toilet in the middle of the night and thinking then this is not right. From there it went down hill - and I still go in the middle of the night :)

I had been tired and everything and thought it was just work. Then I started having heartburn (I had never had it before) and like a sour stomach. I really thought if anything I had an ulcer (I am totally a worrier!) Then the pain came. I had cramping so bad I couldn't hardly stand. I finally sucked it up and went to the Dr. (Did I mention I hated going to the Dr.) A few tests later (CT scan, colonoscopy, upper GI) and they said "we think you have something called Crohn's disease. We are starting you on meds right away and you'll have to see a GI Dr." I had never heard of it before. I haven't pooped right or felt right in the gut since!

Teeny -- I guess I had some heartburn as well. I didn't think much of it. I had an upset stomach a lot over the past 7-8 years, so I didn't think much of that either. I have to wonder how long I've had this! Probably a lot longer than 3 months! And like you -- I haven't been right since I got the diagnosis! Or maybe I'm just more aware of everything.

AIjen-it is hard to pinpoint when it started. It was gradual for me. I could have had minor symptoms for a long time and didn't know it was Crohn's brewing inside me. For example I use to drink milk with every meal when I was younger. I don't remember being lactose intolerant till high school. Could that have been the beginnings of Crohn's? The more I think about it in my early 20's I had started noticing noisy digestion and gas. I just thought maybe I didn't eat the healthiest and it was normal.