• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do we cope with rhis

Hi, my 13 year old daughter has been diagnosed with crohns disease. The doctor says "she has hit the jackpot" with the disease and couldn't be any worse than she is. I need help to get my head around this. I don't know what is ahead of her. She is being put on immunomodulators and am terrified of thought of it. she won't speak to us about it which makes it a lot worse as she is going through this on her own. She is a very sensitive child at the best if times and know that she us protecting my feelings by keeping this to herself.....how do I help her when she doesn't want to speak about it

Hello Una Doherty, Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you are going thru this. I know how hard it is. My daughter was diagnose at age 14, and like you I did not knew what to expect. I can tell you know, she is doing pretty good. I always talk to my daughter in a very positive way, If she does not want to talk, I tell her it is ok, just to remember that I am here for her whenever she is ready. Tell her that you need to know what is going on, in order to make things better. I guess with time she will open up. Hope everything gets better soon.

Welcome to the forum Una. My son was diagnosed at age 15 and was put on a biologic, Remicade right away. We have since added methotrexate(immunosuppressant) to his treatment regimen. These are difficult decisions and it seems we are asked to make them at a time when we are still reeling from the diagnosis.

The Parents Forum is full of caring, knowledgeable members that are going through the same journey and it makes for a great support group.

I hope your daughter reaches remission quickly!