• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you change yours?

Ok, please do your best to forgive me if this has been asked before but...

....how do you change your bag? :confused2:

I've changed mine standing over the toilet since day 1.

But that is the way I was taught in hospital, and I can see on here that many people have commented about changing over a sink or in the shower, and perhaps these methods have their advantages. :cool:

So let me in on the secrets, how do you change yours? And if you made a decision to change it that particular way...why?

I just change mine standing in front of my bathroom mirror. I keep toilet paper nearby for any leaks. But I do it this way cause I can use the mirror to see what I'm doing better than using the little handheld ones that come in the starter kits.

Plus I can scatter all my various supplies out over my bathroom counter.

I change mine standing over the sink. I put some wipes over the sink so that if my stoma decides to start spurting it doesn't cause too much of a mess. I then run the hot water tap and have a good clean, then dry everything off and put fresh stuff on.

I have had to improvise when I've been on camping trips though which has always been interesting!

I change standing over the sink too, that way if Norman decides to be naughty it just goes into the sink and I can clean up easily after. It also means that I have somewhere to put all my bits and bobs. I've never really used a mirror, it confuses me too much.....

I change mine while sitting on the toilet in case my stoma starts going, everything goes right into the toilet bowl. if I'm uncertain about the bag clicking to the wafer, I have a hand mirror that I use to double check if it's connected.

Standing with my supplies on the toilet seat. It's not so bad now our bathroom floor was tiled. I can easily clear up anything that may fall. Have ended up with a splattering on my feet a few times lol

Nyx

Sometimes I do it sitting on the toilet and sometimes standing in front of the sink. When I first got it, my stoma nurse said to do it in front of the sink so I could use the mirror to see what I'm doing. I never used the mirror...lol

When I'm in Calgary I do it sitting on the toilet because the counter is right beside me so I can lay all my stuff out and still reach it. At home in Ontario the toilet is way across the room so I do it standing in front of the sink. For the in front of the sink changes, I just keep toilet paper on hand in case Oscar decides to shoot poo around the room...lol

I get everything ready in the bathroom, take it off while showering, then dry off quick and put the new one on. Why do I do it this way? The skin underneath is much easier to clean in the shower. Also, if my stoma gets busy then it's easy to clean up afterwards.

I was planning to write a thread on this. I have a whole routine that involves paper towels, a hair dryer, a mirror, a razor, hypafix and so on. I haven't had a leak in over 4 years. :applause:
I do it in front of the mirror as well. I keep a paper towel right under the stoma and if it starts to get busy I can catch it. I do it first thing in the morning and it usually isn't very active.
I will type out my routine when I get a chance.

Robb

I was having problems with leaking after a day or 2 after putting a new bag on but I only just discovered that if I put my bag on sitting down it lasts longer. I was really underweight when I got my bag so this wasn't an issue but now I am a heàlthy weight and have mini rolls on my tummy when I sit down lol I was leaking in my chubby creases but if put the bag on already sitting down it moulds so much better I've got 5 days out of my bag so far. Always change my bag in the bathroom though.

Empty the bag in toilet, get everything ready on bench beside bathroom basin, turn on shower, take off bag, shower, dry with towel then hairdryer, warm base plate with hairdryer, stick on bag. :ybiggrin:

As I am retired I can usually shower and change bag in the late morning when my stoma is least active.

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumright: :)

Very interesting, I'm going to try out some of these methods to see they suit me as I'm very much in a minority with the way I do it.

Standing in front of the sink. I use a disposable drape tucked into my pants to catch leaks, but I use the sink while washing the skin around the stoma. I also cover the stoma with gauze after I've washed everything off to catch leaks since Bob likes to go off at all times of the day.

I take a grocery bag, the plastic ones, and tuck one side over my pants so its hanging from my pants open and I can throw all my trash in there while I'm changing. I also fold some paper towels over the side of the bag too so that if I leak the paper towels soak it up.

I stand by the sink and as I take off all the old junk I just drop it in the bag hanging from my pants. While I'm doing this I have the wafer and ring in my bra warming up, lol. Then I open all my new stuff, throw the trash in my pant bag, as I call it, and put it on. Then I take the bag off my pants, throw the paper towel in, close it up, tie it and trash the whole thing.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
On a little stool in my bath tub. After removing the bag, I use the shower hose to rinse off around my stoma. I then lightly scrub away any adhesive and waste with a sponge and liquid soap. When done I wipe my skin dry and fan myself with a hand fan to ensure that my skin is completely dry.

I take a grocery bag, the plastic ones, and tuck one side over my pants so its hanging from my pants open and I can throw all my trash in there while I'm changing. I also fold some paper towels over the side of the bag too so that if I leak the paper towels soak it up.

I stand by the sink and as I take off all the old junk I just drop it in the bag hanging from my pants. While I'm doing this I have the wafer and ring in my bra warming up, lol. Then I open all my new stuff, throw the trash in my pant bag, as I call it, and put it on. Then I take the bag off my pants, throw the paper towel in, close it up, tie it and trash the whole thing.
This is how I was taught to do it at the hospital. I can do it this way but I do it sitting on the loo. Great idea with the bra. I may have to try that out.

I spread all my stuff on the bathroom floor on a towel. Then just change the bag while sitting on the toilet. If it sqirts it will go directly into the toilet (exept if i forgot to put a paper on it it will sqirt half way across the room.) :ylol: Main reason to do it sitting down is at some point i was too week to stand up for that long and would be feeling nausiated after the proses. Now its just a habit.

This is really interesting finding out how everybody else does it.
I remove my entire rig and jump in the shower.
Wash it all down. Remove the sticky stuff.
Then jump out, dry off and attach new rig.

Then throw disinfectant on the shower base.
Clean up any spurts with disinfectant wipes.
Done and dusted. Show over.

annawato

Staff member
What a great thread.
I sit on the toilet with all my supplies set out ready on a chair next to me. I remove all my lower clothing and tuck my top well out of the way.Then I ensure there is a full roll of loo paper ready to soak up everything. I've never thought to do it any other way because so much poo is continually coming out, but it rarely ends up in the toilet so I'll have to try some of all your ways - may be easier than cleaning all the floor, the toilet and me!
I just need a comfy chair in the bath, since it takes so long, lol.
Jenna Rae your bag trick is brilliant! I've been trying to think of some way to make it easier and that may just do the trick. Also warming the wafer in the bra - I sometimes put it between my thigh and the toilet seat but it gets a bit squished so your idea is much better. (plus it has been known to fall in the toilet) :)
i only use a mirror for measuring, but my stoma is high enough that I can see where I need to place the bag.

annawato

Staff member
Discovered another trick tonight when I changed my bag. I always have a problem keeping the skin dry before I put the bag on - usually clean, dry, but barrier wipe on, dry then dribble or spurt so have to do the whole rigmarole again. And again. And again.
Anyway today i thought I'd use the backing plastic from the base plate to check my measurements and then it crossed my mind that if i put that there in between each step it will cover and protect the whole area that matters if it gets wet. I hope this makes sense and isn't so obvious everyone goes, oh yeah:roll eyes:, but it was a real breakthrough for me.
Jenna Rae, i used the old wafer in the bra trick to great success but unfortunately forgot the plastic bags until I had everything off. Next time for that one.

I change mine whilst sitting on the sofa watching telly, one way to get my daughter off the telly too, as she won't stay in the room whilst I'm changing my bags lol.

Just put a towel across me lap but normally no mess, have got it down to a fine art now on all 3 changes lol.

annawato--I wrap mine with a square of gauze bandage while I'm doing all of the steps to catch the dribbles and spurts.

Actually, that may not work for you since yours doesn't come out too far.

annawato

Staff member
Tried the plastic backing trick but still had dribble under it. :(
Tried the plastic bag trick but it had a hole in it. :( :(
Back to the drawing board. :yfrown::yfrown::yfrown:

annawato

Staff member
2th fairy there is just so much coming out that I literally use a whole role of loo paper sopping it up, but I appreciate your suggestion anyway. :)

annawato

Staff member
No not at all, although thats not true - it usually quietens down for half an hour just after I change the bag. haha, not.
I'm waiting on a delivery at the moment and had 10 assorted sample bags left. Well Saturday night I had 3 leakages during the night and three the next day. I literally spent the best part of 12 hours on the loo as it takes 1/2 to one hour just to change the bag, cut a new one etc etc. Talk about destroying any confidence I'd built up. Plus the skin is now totally raw and ulcerated again so I'm feeling pretty low today and scared cos I only have one bag left. I ordered 12 days ago so don't know what he hell has happened with my delivery - I'll have to try and organise a courier tomorrow. Plus I'm out of paste and barrier wipes etc so can't even protect the skin.:ymad::thumbdown::frown::cry:

I take a shower so I can wash the area around the stoma well. THen just hop out and put on new equipment. I have never hear of warming up the wafer first though I will have to try that little trick.

I sit down - usually on the bed at home, with everything spread out round me. I find it easier to sit, because I'm overweight, so if I tried to change the back when I stand up, and then sit down, it's more likely to shift under the extra pressure/tummy size splayed.

Plus sitting feels more comfortable. If at home, I don't do it in the bathroom, like using the bed as a "shelf".

I change mine laying on my bed.I lay towels across it and have plenty of paper towels ready,a trash can and my supplies.I find I can get the flange on better that way,Iv'e tried every position and this has worked best for me,but I have a lot of leakage problems so nothing works great.

annawato

Staff member
Well my supplies arrived last Tuesday which was also our 25th wedding anniversary. When my husband brought them in to me I said it was the best anniversary present I've ever had. :)
Wednesday I had three leakages - I think cos the skin was sore and weeping so the wafer wasn't sticking. One happened while with a friend at the dog park but fortunately not too messy and we just came straight home.
Since then I haven't had any leakages, touchwood, and the skin is just about healed. Yippee! :) :) :)

Wonderful news, Anna. I do hope that this will be the start of a new phase for you when you can really enjoy the positive things that having had the stoma surgery can bring. :hug:

Great news for you Anna. I hope the success continues.

Regarding keeping stoma under control when changing, is it possible to put something like a condom onto it temporarily whilst prepping/drying the skin for application of the wafer? I have no idea if this would work and I don't even have a stoma (op 20th Feb), but would this work?

Dave.

I think a condom would probably just slip off. I guess you could try the kind with no lubrication, but even then I think it would slip off. When mine is completely inactive, it just hangs down, but it is really really wet and slippery. (Sounds kinky!!) When it is active, it moves around A LOT and changes sizes (that sounds bad too!)

What I do is put gauze around it to catch the output and it also helps me be able to move it out of the way when putting on the strip paste.

Great news, Anna! I hope things are still going smoothly for you.

In terms of changing: huh, I seem to be one of the few that favours the bed as my change site. I shower and change about 45 minutes after getting up. I lay my flange, bag and wafer on my bed. I then take everything off and head off to shower. Dry myself off, put a papertowel over the stoma and head over to the bedroom. I have a couple of extra pieces of paper towel on my bedside table in case the stoma is particularly grumpy). I lay down and put everything together in a couple of minutes, and then lay there with my hand over the whole thing for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, I watch TV.

After reading all your methods, I'm thinking that I seem to be particularly lazy or perhaps just really self-indulgent.

Kismet

annawato

Staff member

After reading all your methods, I'm thinking that I seem to be particularly lazy or perhaps just really self-indulgent.

Kismet
Perhaps you are just really efficient Kismet!

Daves idea:
Regarding keeping stoma under control when changing, is it possible to put something like a condom onto it temporarily whilst prepping/drying the skin for application of the wafer?

Dave.
Dave thats a great idea, in theory, but I'd need he worlds largest condom. It would literally fill up in a minute if not less. Perhaps some african country has surplus condoms i could buy.( And that is not meant to be racist, more complimentary.) :) One of the companies sent me out some wound bags but they are so tiny they didn't work either. Plus i think it would slip off, my stoma doesn't poke out very far.

Toothy the gauze is a good idea too but again quantity of output means it woudn't work for me.
I think I just need to be patient and do what i can between outpourings. I'm getting pretty efficient at catching it all with loo paper.
Also the stoma nurse is coming today. Of course the skin is practically healed now and she'll probably wonder what the hell my problem is! :) But she may have some solutions although I think if no-one on this forum has one she won't.
But hey, things have gone so well for the last 6 days that I'm not worried. Its amazing how quickly your confidence can erode and how quickly it can be restored.
Thanks everyone for your concern and thoughts and ideas.
:heart: Anna

It's good to hear that you are feeling more positive, Anna. :thumright:

The stoma nurse will be able to see it, so might have some ideas that no-one here has come up with.

Anna, I hear ya on the too much output to be useful for the gauze suggestion. I know this wouldn't work for you; I was just throwing it out there for Dave.

So glad you are having success. Hooray!!!

Hi Anna,
I use chux cloths. I buy a roll of he cheap ones, they are joined by perforations, I take a sheet off, and cut it in half. I then get my supplies out, prep my bag and stick my Eakin seal on. I then remove my bag, use an adhesive remover wipeto remove all traces of adhesive, place a half chux over miss piggy, and hop in the shower. I then clean myself and miss piggy, hop out with the chux folded over miss p. I dry myself around and above the Stoma very quickly. I then use the dry half chux to dry Stoma really well, apply cavilon wipe, and then whack the new gear on. If miss p starts to dribble, I attack her with the wet chux and start the dry off again.
I have to say that my hubby bough a 2 door cabinet for the bathroom which both houses my gear, and is a work top for changes. It's really handy. I also have a couple of old ice cream containers in the cupboard so if miss piggy gets really active I have something to catch the 'crap' in. I also try to change of a night now so that it is not a big hassle in the morning while trying to get three kids to school and myself to work..

You all sound so well organised!Can I add another question to the thread? I have an ileostomy with short bowel syndrome, very unpredictable...so I have always knelt in front of the loo when emptying my drainable bag. Ok at home but not so nice in public places so I carry a flannel to kneel on. Do others with ileostomies also do this or can you help me out with other suggestions? I've got very dry skin on my knees from all that kneeling so if I could try something else it'd be wonderful.
Love the idea of washing without the bag on, do you think it would be ok to have a bath rather than a shower?

I also kneel at home when emptying and have the lovely dry knee patches like you. You might find one of those kneeling pads like they have at gardening centers. As for public restrooms, I do a half-stand half-squat to empty. If anyone saw me do this, they would have a good laugh for sure!

Bathing bagless is fine as long as you are bathing in clean water, i.e., water that is safe enough to drink.

annawato

Staff member
I sit sideways on the toilet so one cheek is on the front then empty my bag into the back of the toilet. i can't imagine kneeling but maybe our toilets are taller over here - in fact I think they are. Its a bit hard on my back cos I'm sort of twisting to do it but its the only way I can think of to do it. Public restroom I'd put some toilet paper on the seat if it was looking a bit iffy.
Bathing with my stoma - no way. I can't even shower with it cos of the difficulties geting dry but there is no reason not too if you have a well behave stoma.

I haven't tried to shower bagless either, anna. Even without eating anything for 8 hours, and Bob being completely still for most of that time, all it takes it me walking across the house and he will start going off.

annawato

Staff member
Yes its amazing how you think you have a quiet time to change and off they go. Wake up time! Lets be annoying. A little bit like children. :)

Very impressive solutions and the powerpoint presentation, amazing! I shall try to be a bit more adventurous and rethink my attitudes to being out in the world. At the moment I'm agrophobic and only take my dogs for a short walk, the home and that's me for the day. Travelling is an absolute nightmare! Thanks to all pof you for your time and help

EEK! Being agrophobic is tough. I hope you will be able to get out and about more. Baby steps, right? My heart goes out to you.

Hi back to you Janno, how are things with you? Ours is such a rotten condition...one day you're coping fine than along comes Niagra Falls and you feel like hiding. I keep telling Cliff, my very patient husband, that perhaps we could have a TV in the loo, I spend so much time there!
Thanks for the kind sympathy regading the Agrophobia, I was always out and about before the Crohns was discoverd! Still, it means I'm not out shopping( although there's always ebay...):rosette1:

Online shopping is the best! :)

My husband bought me a portable DVD player when I first started Remicade infusions. I ended up using in the loo a lot as well.

annawato

Staff member
Thanks for the kind sympathy regading the Agrophobia, I was always out and about before the Crohns was discoverd! Still, it means I'm not out shopping( although there's always ebay...):rosette1:
:rof: about ebay. I spent a fortune online when I was in hospital. None of it fits now since I put on so much weight. :(
Sorry to hear about your agoraphobia Paddy. It must be very difficult to live with. I can understand where you are coming from (a little bit). I'm terrified of having leaks in public. But sometimes I have no choice but to go out - then I just keep my fingers very tightly crossed. As Toothy said, baby steps.
which reminds me, do you mind being called toothy toothy?

I can relate to the buying online and then having clothes that don't fit!!! Still, I take them to charity shops so someone gains in the end,hopefully.
Thanks for the kind thoughts, they're much appreciated. My Pc is my window on my world; when I'm out with the dogs I'm so focused on whether there'll be a 'mishap' that I don't take in my surroundings and am just waiting to get home.
You all make my life so much easier...thank you so much xxx

After my colon surgery I had a home nurse visit for several weeks. She changed my ostomy set up while I lay on the bed. The same thing when I visited my stoma nurse at the hospital. So, I have continued the practice of lying on the bed with the supplies beside me, and a wet warm facecloth.
I have however had to do a couple of emergency changes standing in public bathroom stalls. I also find the mirror confusing.
Leakage has been an ongoing battle, due to an odd shaped stoma. Never to the point of getting on clothes or bed sheets, but enough to cause odor issues. I use the elastic tape as a matter of reenforcement for the flange, and usually carry cloth tape as well.
At the moment I'm using the large Eakin seals with the mold able paste. This works fine if I'm able to empty the pouch often like at home, but if I'm traveling and have less frequent access to toilets I need to change the set up daily and run the risk of the unpredictability of odor from leakage.
Anyhow, it,s great reading of everyone's methods of dealing with ostomy issues. I find that I wear track pants more than ever for looseness and comfort, especially on flights and long car journeys. Less restrictive on the ostomy when seated.