• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you deal with loss of appetite?

How do you all handle loss of appetite? I’ve been tracking the number of calories I take in daily, for the first time ever since I was a body-image obsessed teenager, and I am shocked at how little I eat. I find I have this impression that if I don’t feel good, I shouldn’t eat because for me it’s what causes symptoms so often, especially when I don’t know a food is a trigger. So I want to eat less, then feel even more depleted, and flare even more easily. I feel stuck in that cycle. I need to eat – and not eat what I crave because I can’t have it (bread!) but eat what I need, although I don’t want it (steamed veg and broiled chicken – yeck).

What started this line of thought examination for me is that I’ve been reading “The Man Who Couldn’t Eat” – written by Jon Reiner, who suffers from Crohn’s and describes himself as a “glutton in a greyhound body”. I’ve only gotten about a 1/3 through the book, but his whole relationship with food really hit home with me. I wonder if anyone else has read this?

While he’s recovering – trying to figure out what he ate that precipitated a flare – he writes: “It’s a bad habit of mine, living life in the rear-view mirror, wanting to understand what cannot be understood, to change what cannot be changed.” That’s how I feel about food, and all the other triggers: stress, amount of sleep, anything and everything that could have triggered a flare. I feel like if I can figure it out, like tumblers in a lock, I can learn the combination that leads to remission. But food is always the big one – I want stuff I can’t have, and don’t want the stuff I can, and end up in the middle with no appetite. :pale:

This is a huge problem with me as well. I am starting to get into lifting and bulk gaining but its tough. My daily goal is around 3100cal a day and I find my self shoving the food down my throat, literally. I will choke half the time just because I am not hungry whatsoever. I find that always having water there helps things go down but still never perfect.