• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you get through a flare?

I'm nearing my one year anniversary of diagnosis in august and I'm fearing that I might be starting to flare again. I've been having some joint pain & a bit of cramping/abdominal pain and I'm currently only on azathioprine since I started reacting badly to Humira after starting the aza. My doctor and his nurse have been trying to push me towards another biologic but I'm not really interested in taking my chances a second time. And I know they're quick to jump on the prednisone wagon and try to convince me to do the same. The last time I was on prednisone though I became a MANIAC. There's a long list of why I would prefer not to take it again. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting through a flare or stopping one sans steroids?

If you continue with stomach cramps and get bowel involvement too its always useful to try going on a low residue diet failing that a liquid diet they always help me with bowel symptoms and usually cramps too

the joints however I dont know if that will improve.

Have they checked that azathioprine is at a theraputic level?b if not they can increase that.

Just food for thought, i had a horrible time with humira yet had the best remission yet with remicade it was a breath of fresh air in comparison. But I alsi dont think you should rush into biologics

steroids are horrible, im avoiding calling my nurse because I fear steroids lol but thats not healthy its best to get the inflammation under control!

Feel better soon!!

Hi, I have suffer with Crohns & colitis since 2001..
Try and avoid steroids if you can because of side affects!! There are do many of them..
Always try to go on low residue diet first!! Cut all the fibre out and eat as plain as possible. Lots of water so you don't constipate too. Never do it more then 2 weeks because you will lack of vitamins etc.
Stay away from dairy and switch to soya products..helps a lot!!
Also codeine tablets helps to reduce runny stool :)
Fish without bones, rice, mash potatoe, chicken, boiled carots,sweed,parsnip etc very safe to eat.
Hope these help you..
Cheers

What is EEN? I probably should have mentioned that I'm vegan too ha ha so no dairy or meat for me. I'm big into nut milks. I get my aza levels checked today so hopefully my labs come back asap. Humira started giving me a drug rash all over my body & face so we had to stop it. My hands and feet also startedswelling randomly and I had lesions in my throat and an enlarged lymph node. That's why I'm hesitant to try any more biologics, especially ones with other organism protein in them

Do you take fishoil everyday, vitaminD3, there are many supplements that may help you. Plz check out the diet and supplement thread on the main forum page. Full of great information! Hope it helps you!It should have EEN on there too.:ghug:

Thanks guys! I'll check out the diet forum. Maybe I'll do a liquid diet for a couple days and then low residue for a couple days and also pick up some flax oil