• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you know when you're done with colonoscopy prep

I am doing my prep right now, took the miralax gatorade mix about 4 hours ago and I'm not really going to the bathroom that much anymore. How do I know when I'm done? It's like a light yellow water now. I don't want to drink the other gatorade with miralax in the morning if I don't have to...or should I still? I have eaten hardly anything in the last 36 hours so I'm thinking there just wasn't much to clean out...

And 1 other question. On my instructions it said to avoid red or purple dyes so I got the blue gatorade. I have read on other sites that you are also supposed to avoid blue dyes?? It only said red or purple on my directions but I'm freaking out that I'm going to screw up my scope tomorrow...does anyone else here use the blue gatorade or was that a no no?

Last edited:
Yellow water should be fine, so long as there are no lumps! Keep drinking other fluids, you might find they go straight through and help finish clearing out. As for blue dye, I don't think it's a real problem, as you can't really mistake blue for inflammation or ulcers or anything really!

The color dye issue is more of a physician preference. Most just specify to avoid red or purple. As long as you follow the instructions that YOUR doctor gave you, you are fine.

And like Rebecca said, yellow is good. The worst part is over now. Sounds like you are ready. Good luck!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yeah, Rebecca's right, every doctor/hospital is different in terms of what colors they allow and disallow. When I had my colonoscopy, they said no red, purple or orange. When I had my pill cam, same doctor and hospital, but then they just said no red.

Good luck on your scope!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I would still take the other Miralax in the morning, if those were your directions.
I wouldn't worry about the blue gatorade. My doc recommends the purple one,

So I drank as much as the miralax this morning as I could, almost the entire bottle. Then I threw it up. I'm still having yellow watery movements but there are no lumps or anything solid so hopefully that means I'm clean...I sure hope so, I don't want to do this again.

And it sucks because my procedure isn't until 3 pm so now it's been about 48 hours or more since I've eaten and I think that's why I get so sick when I put anything into my stomach now. I'm afraid to eat after the scope. Do you usually feel okay after the scope?

The first thing I did after my scope was raid the biscuit tin in recovery room! I felt a little sore from the cramping but that was all. No nausea or pain at all. Don't worry about throwing up some of the prep- I think we've all been there and they do give you extra in case that happens.