• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How do you know....

How do you know if you have a perianal abscess or hemorroids?

Sorry if TMI, but I just need to know if I should be calling my doctor or not. I have a lot of pain and redness and swelling just above my rectum. It hurts to walk, sit, etc. No real relief. I tried hemorroid cream and it didn't seem to do anything. There is no leaking of fluid or anything like that.

Please help/suggest/give opinions.

THX! :ysmile:

How do you know if you have a perianal abscess or hemorroids?

Sorry if TMI, but I just need to know if I should be calling my doctor or not. I have a lot of pain and redness and swelling just above my rectum. It hurts to walk, sit, etc. No real relief. I tried hemorroid cream and it didn't seem to do anything. There is no leaking of fluid or anything like that.

Please help/suggest/give opinions.

THX! :ysmile:
Denise - i had 5 perianal abscess when my CD started.
Pain,redness,swelling - yes
Hurt to walk,sit etc - yes
No leaking of fluid - yes

I had 5 seperate ops over 18 months to drain/cut them out.
Please get medical advice ASAP.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I saw my doctor yesterday and she said it was some really really bad hemmoroids with basically a very bad "diaper rash" from wiping all the time.