• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How has YOUR weight been affected?

I'm curious how everyone's weight has been affected by taking care of their little crohnie. There is so much stress and uncertainy and changing of courses involved with this disease and when it's happening to your child it raises the pucker factor even higher. I know we all deal with it differently.

For me personally, I don't eat much when stressed. Take the fact that S is on EN now, I absolutely will NOT eat in front of him or buy any snack type foods that he would happen upon. Me and my husband both find ourselves just grabbing a sandwich or salad at night. Something that won't smell up the house. S is an only child so we don't have other kids to consider.

What about you?

For me I am somebody who eats when stressed, but when lucy was diagnosed I couldnt eat anything for about two months, I literally had a pain in my stomach with worry, guilt, fear .. all of the emotions us Chrons Moms have on a daily basis. My normal reaction to Lucy's diagnosis would have been to bury myself in the press and eat, however not this time, and then I put all the familiy of healthy eating so I think since her diagnosis both myself and dh have lost about 30 llbs each.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Wish I could say I'd lost weight! :ymad: While I did lose some at the hospital and during the six weeks (like you, did NOT want to eat in front of Stephen :eek:) but, alas, it has all come back! :thumbdown:

At my daughter's insistence, joined Tae Kwon Do last week, thought it might kickstart some weight loss - twisted my ankle last night and can't step on it today! :yrolleyes: :lol:

Lost weight and EN isn't helping. Feel guilty eating anything! I too am trying to prepare things that won't produce lots of cooking smells.

During the horrible pre-dx time I could not eat, never can when under stress, never weighed myself but my clothes were hanging. There was no way I could LOOK at food when she was starving. It literally turned my stomach. :pale:

Since then, I've stayed at my normal weight, no fluctuations. But that's because she looks great and is bigger than I am, both height and weight :p

I lose weight while extremely stressed no matter what I eat. When he's doing well, I relax and start packing it on. I wish I could do a weight transplant! lol. I definitely get sympathy pains no matter what my kids are ailing of

I am a fatty!

LOL! Generally speaking, Izz loves fruits/veggies/salads but they tend to make her worse, so we all avoid them.

With her nausea, she often doesn't finish what is on her plate, so I do. :facepalm:

So despite running at least 10k a week I am larger than I have ever been, except while pregnant.

ALTHOUGH while Izz was in the hospital I lived on lattes and coffee...I didn't want to eat in front of her and the one time I had the opportunity to go to the cafeteria I was too worked up to eat much.

When really stressed, I eat less ... but normal stress I eat more. When Danny got the (incorrect) Cystic Fibrosis dx, I must have been extra stressed because I developed Grave's and lost 15 pounds due to hyperthyroid before getting it diagnosed. Ended up with RAI to destroy my thryroid and now I've gained it all back and more! I still feel hypothryroid but dr will not raise my levothyroxine. When Danny did the liquid diet for his colonoscopy, I did it with him for support ... and I still gained weight that day! :thumbdown:

OOOhhh I take it all back...I have lost 6 pounds in the past two weeks...I guess I *can* lose weight if I am stressed enough lol!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Look at me and you will see how my kids are doing! :lol:

When they are well I could do the fatted calf out of business but when they are sick, well suffice it to say I look s*** and and the kilos melt away. Hmmmm...that means the last few years I have been up and down like a honeymooners nightie!

Dusty. :)

When I'm stressed, I can't eat. I can feel my stomach grumble, but my stomach hurts from the stress...sometimes it even feels like I can't swallow or I might vomit! When the foods hits my stomach, it hurts. For me the stress burns calories like crazy. I'm already am a skinny person...when Brian flared the worst in 2010 I had everyone making comments on my weight. It made me want to not eat even more! Downward spiral for sure.
The other crazy thing...when food is bothering Brian, It makes me look at food as being disgusting! I think its all just anxiety and being plain pissed off!!! This last 'slight' flare, I've really been keeping an eye on not going that road again. It takes self control to fight that anxiety. I'm 46 and I never knew anxiety like I do now- post crohn's DX.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hmmmm...that means the last few years I have been up and down like a honeymooners nightie!

Dusty. :)
Get some new lines Dusty!!

When EJ was first dxed, we tried a no bread, no grain diet on the advice of a naturo. I was determined to not make him go it alone and I lost about 40 pounds over a six month period. After realizing, a (then) 10 yr. old kid couldn't grow properly on such a diet, I did gain about 10 pounds back but my knees and other joints felt so much better I've strived to keep the weight off. We've had no major flares since then, but I would be like Dusty says…a mirror of EJ's health.

I lose weight, mainly from the stress I think. Part of it is being nauseous with worry when my son flares, but I also find exercising as a good way to relieve some of the stress. The combination of burning calories and being nauseous took off about five pounds during my son's last flare!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
My dad never gains weight no matter how much or what he eats but my mom gained a little weight I think cause they were always eating out rather than eating at home (cause I wasn't home, this is when I was hospitalized). Once I was home my mom's weight didn't really change as we ate at home and out. When I was on a liquid only diet for 2 months my parents usually didn't eat in front of me but sometimes they did cause their meals were sent to my room. Sometimes when they hadn't gotten back yet and their meals were just sitting there I'd unplug my IV and walk over to their food with IV in tow and take equal bites from their trays so it didn't look like any was missing then walk back and plug myself back in. It never made me sick to do that but it wasn't everyday either. Although I fail to see how two bites of food a week or so would kill ya. :p

Overall their weight wasn't really affected all that much from what I saw.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Get some new lines Dusty!!
Now here's the thing Dex...I would dearly love to introduce you to some new material but I'm a bit like the starman, I fear that it would blow your redneck mind!

You started it! :tongue:
Dusty. xxx

When Andrew first got diagnosed I could hardly eat but other than that - unfortunately - I am a comfort eater!!
I am rather overweight at the moment and the hospital stays don't help - they do a mean fish and chips and those muffins mmmmmmmm!

Look at me and you will see how my kids are doing!
I can SO relate! This applies to mentally, as well. S has had a good day today and is going to a friends for a sleepover (he's been on a constant NG feed all day in order to go) so me and hubby are heading out for some yummy Mexican food. It will be the most I have eaten all week!

I never eat much of anything but can never seem to loose weight :( Since Ko has been sick I have managed to gain about 15 pounds and let me just say I didnt need to gain anything.
I am hoping once he feels better we can start walking and being more active. HE doesnt feel like doing alot and he wants me with him at all times

Hi all
over the last few weeks i had eaten so litlle that i thought i was developing crohns too- i love cooking and food but feel so bad about amy and she is at the moment really struggling with modulen ( 4 weeks today ) i still feel i am in a nightmare and have thought about packing up work but when i read about remission lasting 7 years it gives me hope. Amy is doing well but anemic and really tired thanks to you guys we now have got her on a multivitamin.( having rang her gi nurse after reading the forum -hope it helps but it makes me feel a little better about being able to help her I think this has been the hardest part of being a mum i wish every day i could take this awful disease for myself but i reckon we just have to take it one day at a time by the way i am getting obessed about her bowel movemnets. best wishes and love to you all and your babies
kathy

Tesscorm

Staff member
Ah well, obsession with BMs...:lol: you should speak with Julie (imaboveitall) and some of her fecal friends...:highfive: some serious experts there! Tongs, flashlights, La Senza bags, need I go on? :rof:

Good luck to Amy! My son did the diet as well... it's a tough haul at the end! :heart:

Kathy - I completely understand having trouble eating while your child is on EN. My son is on day 33 of EN and has 8 more days to go. I too normally love food and cooking, especially baking, but I have been trying to avoid everything to do with food for the past few weeks. I'll be so happy when he can start eating again.

Let the count down for all these kids on EN begin! Not long now!!!!!!!!!!

Fun for the Fecally Fixated: A Weekend Seminar
featuring:
Merits of Kitchen Implements vs. Gloved hand

What Does YOUR Poo Resemble? contest...be imaginative!

Specimen Jar Jazz: ribbons, stickers, and more! Liven up your lab tech's day!

When Your Child Resists Inspection; Sharing the Poo Love

:poo: :poo: :poo:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hmmm...if ever we need a mascot for the parents forum I vote for Mr Hanky!...
...After all I reckon we are all striving for our kiddoes to have one solid untarnished poop a day! :ylol:

Dusty. :bat: