• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How I Found Out I Had Crohn's (Question At End)

Hi there!

So I felt like I needed to make an account on this site because I honestly don't know anyone with Crohn's, and it's nice to know someone could understand the pain I go through sometimes.

I was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease (July 2013) so I feel a bit lonely knowing that no one in my family nor relatives have Crohn's. But for these past two months, I've been used to the fact. I'm thirteen, incase you were wondering, and I'm surprised I actually got diagnosed with it since I heard that usually it happens between the ages of fifteen and thirty-five.

Anyways, back to how I found out about it.

It began back in April of 2013, when I noticed how I started losing my appetite. I would never want to consume anything, therefore I would get tired easily and never want to exercise. My parents started to notice how I would serve myself very little at dinnertime, and "dead" I seemed.

Then there came the worst part-the abdominal pains. During school (since I am still in middle school) I would feel these terrible stomach pains that would make me bend over, and I wouldn't eat my lunch at all, maybe a nibble if it wasn't that bad. At first I had assumed that it was part of my menstrual cycle, you know with the cramps and all, but I never experienced such pain before, so I knew something was wrong.

I was losing weight by the minute. During the time span of one month, I lost about ten pounds, and so I went from 105 pounds to 95 pounds. I was terrified of what was happening-I had no idea what was happening in my body, and I never told anyone during the time. I just kept telling myself that they were just cramps, though I knew that wasn't it.

Eventually, my parents started to notice. I would hardly serve anything on my plate and I wouldn't eat most of what I served anyways. One time during dinner, my dad just blurted out, "You need to stop starving yourself, you're going to end up being anorexic." I took that really harshly, being quite self-conscious about myself and just started crying and telling both my parents about the pain I've been feeling. They didn't really believe me at first, but the next few weeks made it quite clear when I started throwing up anything I ate, constantly used the bathroom, and started to look pale and bony.

My dad eventually had enough of seeing me suffer, and so they took me to the emergency room, where they gave me a CT Scan and took blood samples. The doctors weren't able to identify what it was, but they continued giving me antibiotics, steroids and whatnot to keep the inflammation down. I stayed in the hospital for about a week, literally one or two weeks before the school year ended (I was in seventh grade at the time, a few days from becoming an eighth grader).

The doctors had sent me home with Apriso, Prednisone, and I believe Prevacid to take every morning. It definitely helped, and I was glad I was able to eat without experiencing pain. Yet, I had a diet where I wasn't able to consume anything with tomatoes, chocolate, caffeine-basically anything that would inflame my colon.

Sadly, I had a relapse of the inflammation in July. It was this day where I just felt really bad-my sides ached, I wasn't able to walk. Around midnight, I tried to get up but I suddenly had problems breathing because my sides ached so much. I barely cried since it only made it worse, and my parents were scared, mostly my mom, and she drove me to the ER where they tended me over night, where I got fever and continuous abdominal pains.

At first the doctors assumed that it had something to do with my appendix, so they thought I had appendicitis. They then told me they were going to surgically remove my appendix. Know that it was three in the morning when they declared this, and I was four hours away from having that surgery when the doctors realized it wasn't the appendix, but the colon. They then diagnosed me with Crohn's Disease after running tests, x-rays, and observations while I was in the Intensive Care Unit. I left the hospital around August 23, and I've been better since then. The only things I have to avoid eating are small seeds, raw vegetables, and corn, so that's good.

Now, I take doses of Apriso, Prednisone, and Prevacid. Fortunately, they're bringing down the dosage of Prednisone every two weeks since it's giving me a "moon face", or making my cheeks appear chubby. I'm glad about that because many friends and teachers have noticed how big my cheeks have gotten due to the Prednisone, and like I said, I'm very self-conscious about my appearance.

So I guess that's my story, I probably would've described it more but I have other things to tend to, like homework. Haha, but before I do end this, I have a question or two about Crohn's:

-Does Crohn's Disease make you gain weight? I've gained fat in my cheeks because of the Prednisone, but I mean stomach-wise, if you get what I'm trying to imply.

-Does it cease your growing? I've noticed that I haven't grown much since the pain started;I'm 5'1 and weigh 113 pounds. Either my friends have been hitting puberty fast or I just stopped growing.

If you read this, thanks! If I knew you personally I'd give you a hug, so take this virtual one instead! :hug:

Deuces! xx :eek:utahere:

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community :) Let's see if I can help with your questions:

1. Does Crohn's cause you to gain weight? No that I'm aware of. You will hear the occasional story of people who are overweight who have Crohn's disease, but it does not cause that.

2. Some people who are still growing can indeed have, "Failure to thrive" due to Crohn's disease. This is invariably due to malabsorption and subsequent malnutrition and is something your doctor needs to keep a close eye on.

We're here for you.

Welcome sorry you have to deal with all this. My son is 14 and was diagnosed when he was 10.

The "cheeks" will go away once you are done with the pred. This is a fairly common side effect from prednisone.

Many stop growing while there is inflammation going on in your body. In fact that is one of the symptoms that lead to my son's diagnosis. Once you are feeling better you will start growing again including puberty sometimes it just takes a while since your body has been working to try and fix itself. Just make sure you are eating enough quite a few supplement their diet with special drinks like Ensure or Boost since they just don't feel like eating.

There are places to meet other kids with Crohn's we have a teen section on here http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67 and the CCFA puts on summer camps all across the country. My son has been going for 4 years and has met some great people there "who really get it" and is able to stay in contact with them throughout the year through facebook, texting, etc.

It is great that you are reaching out and learning more about your disease and there are many people here who can answer questions and offer support.

Lots of hugs :ghug:

Hi and welcome! I was diagnosed at age 11 (24 now) so it's not uncommon to hear of young people being diagnosed. The moon face will go away once you come off the prednisone. I know how tough that can be to deal with at your age, but if you let your friends know what's going on they should be understanding. The prednisone can make you gain weight, I know that was always a symptom I had while I was taking it. As for feeling like you stopped growing, that can be because our bodies can't absorb nutrients like others. I know I was always the smallest among my friends and classmates. I'm still the smallest in my family. Only 5'3" and 120 pounds. I hope I answered your questions the best I could. We all know what you're going through so feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

I admire you for being such a brave girl and facing this head on with a good attitude. You will fight this and keep fighting because I sense you are a strong young lady! :ghug:

Hello :) First of all i am sorry for you having to go through these times...God bless you..I just wanted to convey my support your way :) Keep talking to the doctor frequently and tell him / her about the troubles you are facing. Maintain a food dairy so that you could know which foods are causing trouble to you and which ones are good for you. Practise meditation for an hour daily to keep the stress under control. All the best :) May you get well soon :)

PsychoJane

Hii! Not easy to deal with this disease as a teenager. I've been there and feel free to come and ask for advice as you need.

I was diagnosed at the end of grade 8th, I had been sick for pretty much the entire year before I actually let someone know I was not feeling right... These first months dealing with the disease were hard on me but it did get better...

#1-As other have said, technically, crohn won't make you gain weight per say. Steroid have the moon face effect (not so cool to deal with while it happens) but it goes away. You may feel like you have a belly from crohn... unfortunately, this mostly won't be related to fat, but to inflammation and being bloated. When the disease is in remission, this is better on the overall.

-#Q2 - Crohn can slow down your growth. I was the smallest for a long time. In grade 7-8 I was a small girl, I was under 5ft and also under 100 pounds. People used to call me, in a friendly manner, "the little one", all the time. I sure was smaller in size and weight than most due to the disease. When you get better, it catches up...Even though female have that tendency to stop growing around the age of 18th, I kept growing until about 20-21. After 15 my disease was in remission and in these 5 years (15-20) I've gained about 5 inches. I caught up to the average. The same goes with puberty in general, I was delayed on these aspect because of the disease too. All this settle when the disease is under control as your body knows what is best for you.

I hope you will achieve remission soon and get to be healthy!