• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How I found out I have crohns

My story begins on my deployment in Iraq. After my vehicle got hit from a IED i was injured, with serious back injury's. the doctors there gave me everything they could to help with the pain, but made matters worse.

Upon my arrival back home i noticed that i started having stomach pains so i got checked out, well to make a longer story short i went through 3 colon, and 3 EGD to find out that i had ulcers. they gave me med's and they went away.

a few years later down the road i had some minor nerve pain shooting down my leg. It wasn't alarming at first but about week two i noticed that the pain was more regular and more intense. At this time its been 3 months of me trying to tough it out and let me tell you it wasn't easy, I would boil water and put the water at the hottest setting just to get a few mins of no pain. It wasn't the smartest thing I've done in my life, waiting 3 months but i wanted to be sure it was a issue before going to the ER.

When i got to the ER they told me i was lucky to had made it there when i had because the infection that had grown on my syatic nerve was large and spreading. had a few fistulas connection my bowel, it was just feeding it more and more infection. I've dealt with for 2 years before i was properly diagnosed with crohn's. Throughout those 2 years i was in and out the hospital and going through hell. I currently going on year 3 and still waiting to be treated. They had me on No Food, No Water, I had a central line in that i would plug in a nutrition bag that would be my food and water. I've had picc lines for IV antibotics. I'm not sure what will come next but I'm trying to stay optimistic, the only thing i found that helps me with my crohn's is marijuana. I'm currently waiting to get my medication but they are pushing to do the surgery and give me treatment after, but i suggested to do the treatment first to see if it will help and avoid the surgery until i need it.

i hope my story will help others, Thanks for allowing me to be in this group

So sorry for all you have been through. Thank you for your service. I hope being part of this forum brings you some relief and information to fight your Crohns.

that's my hopes because i don't know enough about this condition enough and I want to know all i can. Thank you for you kind words and warm welcome

cmack

Staff member
Hi jdsleeve,

I don't have a crohn's diagnosis, but it is a very likely culprit according to several doctors I have spoken to regarding my personal issues. I have an unspecified bowel disease that is suspected to be crohn's. Welcome you have found a good place for support, I highly appreciate your military service. My grandfather was a veteran of WW2 and he appreciated your soldiers too. There is a military group on here if you want to check that out as well. Just type into the search box at the top of the screen to see what is here. I wish you the best, talk to me any time.

Cheers,

Chris

thanks Chris i really appreciate it. Thank you for your grandfathers service. thank you.

i waited 2 years to get a properly diagnosed. it started as a mono type of bacteria, that was found growing on my syatic nerve. after i got rid of those bugs i got sick again but these where more normal type found with crohns patience. My doctor's where confused at first with the mono type they couldnt understand how it got to my syatic nerve. I did all kinds of testing and it took them 2 years just to diagnose me. I dont know much about this condition, but im always willing to learn.

Last edited:

Lynda Lynda

Welcome jdsleeve. 🙂

I'm sorry you have had to suffer so much over the last few years. Even though my experiences are not the same as yours, I still understand the frustration that comes along with this disease. I have been sick for 21 years.[ First they said IBS....then UC....now Crohn's.] There are lots of great members here. I have found that by reading a lot of posts on a variety of threads here has helped me understand and learn about things I never knew about.
Sending you my support.

P.S. Yes, it is 3:08am and I am reading your post. 😳

Take Care. 🌻