• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How linoleic

I don’t see much disagreement.

The Harvard study recommends 5 to 10 percent of energy consumption of LA. Not the 15 to 20 percent that is being consumed today according to the Mercola article.

Consistent with the American Heart Association guidelines, our data continue to support consumption of 5-10% energy

The Mercola article focuses on excessive LA consumption. It does not say a normal amount is bad, but excessive amounts are. The Harvard study doesn’t get into excessive amounts at all

Best regards

Dan

Over the last 150 years, the LA in the human diet has increased from about 2 to 3 grams a day to 30 or 40 grams. LA used to make up 1% to 3% of the energy in the human diet and now it makes up 15% to 20%

Scipio

They are in stark disagreement

Dr. Mercola recommends that you avoid oils that are high in LA and instead eat animal food and animal fats.

The Harvard article recommends that you reduce animal and other saturatd fats instead eat vegetable oils that contain LA.

About the only point on which they agree is to reduce carbohydrates in the diet.

Dr. Mercola makes LA sound downright dangerous. He literally calls it a "poison." The Harvard article depicts LA as a good thing that can reduce the risk of heart disease.

I guess you can argue with the authors of the articles. I don’t have a dog in this fight.

Best regards.

Dan