• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long did Cimzia take to work?

I have had Crohn's Disease for 20 years. Currently on Asacol, Entocort and Cimzia. I have been on Cimzia for 6 weeks now and don't see real improvement. How long did Cimzia take to start seeing a difference in stools.

My problems are primarily pain (and often blood in stools), but I noticed an improvement after about four weeks. Then the shots would help for the first two weeks but not the second so I just recently went to two shots every two weeks. I hope it works for you!

SarahBear

Hi, Ann! Welcome to the forum! :)

I've copied your thread into the Cimzia section of our Treatment forum. You can find it here: How long did Cimzia take to work?. You're more likely to get responses from people with experience with Cimzia in that thread.

I've left this thread here as well, in case you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself and your experiences with Crohn's, and so that people can properly welcome you.

:hug:

Thank you SarahBear. I'm on Cimzia because my insurance company wouldn't approve Humira until I had tried Cimzia first. I've had a flare up for 3 months now. It's been a long time since I've had one this long. Hoping the Cimzia will kick in soon.

nogutsnoglory

Ann that's strange that they mandate you try Cimzia first. Cimzia and Humira are supposed to do the same thing but Humira is more popular so it strikes me as odd that your carrier had a preference.

How long have you been on Cimzia? I replied to the other thread with my personal experience using Cimzia.

I agree I am also on cimzia, but not until Remicade had stopped working. From what I was told was cimzia was less detectable by my immune system. If I remember it was about three months before I saw any change, but I had just had a bowel resection.

I am starting on Cimzia tomorrow. I have taken Remicade and Humira. At this point Cimzia is my last hope (or at least I feel like). I know they are three TNF blockers, but I am not sure how they are different.

I am starting on Cimzia tomorrow. I have taken Remicade and Humira. At this point Cimzia is my last hope (or at least I feel like). I know they are three TNF blockers, but I am not sure how they are different.
from what ive been told cimzia is synthetic, and not made from animal dna. this makes it harder for your body to identify it. I don't know how true that is, I was told that by my last gi doc. I do have appointment with my new doc, and will ask him how true this is.