• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long did it take to know if Remicade was effective?

I've had my 3 loading doses and I do not feel better. I actually feel worse than when I was on Humira (which stopped working). I see my dr. on Tuesday so I'll ask him but am wondering, for those who it's worked for, how long before you saw improvement with Remicade?

Maya142

Staff member
The answer is it depends. Most people feel better after the first few infusions, but others take longer. You may need a higher dose or more frequent infusions.

My daughter took 3-4 infusions and needed both a higher dose of Remicade and more frequent infusions (every 4-5 weeks after loading doses) before she felt better.

There are some kids on the Parents' forum who have taken 6 months to feel better.

Sometimes adding something like Methotrexate can give Remicade a "boost" and that can help.

The good part about Remicade is that you have room to go up on the dose and can increase the frequency quite a bit.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I didn't know if I had given it enough time. I'm curious to see what my Dr. says when I see him tomorrow. Appreciate the response.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds also felt horrid till about 7-8 weeks from the first infusion
And then needed a higher dose at a higher frequency to work

Thank you! I'm just about at the 8 week mark. Hopefully it kicks in soon. I'm just nervous with the holidays coming up--don't want to feel worse then.

Hi Iron it took about 8 months or so before Remicade started working for me. I started at the 5mg/kg ratio every 8 weeks and had to progress to 7.5mg/kg before is started working. I've been symptom free for 6 years now. Good luck to you and I sincerely hope this drug gives you some relief.