• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long did you stop taking methotrexate before TTC?

Hello,

I have read a lot of different things but most suggest 3-6months. Thought I would ask the experts of this forum what did you do? How did coming off mehotrexate affect your disease?
I have no alternative drug options as I have tried all others so I wouldnt be able to take any other for treatment. I guess my only option would be steroids if I did get ill.
Really want to hear your experiances so I can prepare myself completely before going ahead.
Thanks x

I hope you don't mind my replying to your post despite my lack of personal experience with this issue. :ysmile:

I thought I would share some links about fertility and pregnancy in IBDers in case you haven't seen this information yet.

http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/February07/Feb07ParekhArticle.pdf

http://www.wecareinibd.com/patientresources/fertility_and_pregnancy.aspx

The recent literature on remission and relapse, as I understand it, strongly suggests that if you have achieved mucosal healing you stand a good chance of having a solid period of remission when you discontinue immune suppressing meds. The only way to determine if there is mucosal healing is by examining biopsies.

If you have not had a scope recently to confirm the extent of your remission I suggest you talk with your GI about doing so before making any decisions.

It may also be a good point to consider getting a 2nd opinion on your treatment plan, even if you are happy with your current GI.

And best wishes on TTC!!

Thank you for replying the links were useful. I have been doing a lot of reading about what to do.
I am not planning on TTC until next year as I want to get myself as healthy as possible I am currently eating a lot healthier and doing more exercise. With the crohns disease I don't believe I am in full remmision as my crp is still slightly elevated and I have joint and bowel issues still, but I think this is as good as its going to get. I haven't had a scope since he middle of last year but I think the GI wants to do one soonish. I have mentioned his to my GI aswell and he just said don't do it while on methotrexate which I knew I couldn't but he is great and really supportive and when I am ready to come of medication as long as my health stays at this level he is going to help me with all the planning.
Sorry rambling now but thank you for replying X

Glad those were helpful.

I suggest you consider doing a stint of EN (exclusive if you can handle that) prior to having a scope. it will absolutely improve your nutritional status and may help you get into solid remission. It is not as successful in adults as in kids but, given your goals and that you are pretty sure you are only in partial remission, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

It will also help you figure out if it is an effective treatment tool for you to use during pregnancy should you start to flare.

Talk it over with your GI. You can use OTC products like Boost and Ensure, there are actually a bunch available now. You can check out the EN subforum in the Treatment forum for tips and more info.