• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long does it take for Stelara to work?

Remicade stopped working for me after seven years. So my new GI, switched me to Stelara. I got the loading dodecahedron last week. I a, currently on Prednisone, 20 mg, and 6 MP as well. I have heard it takes a while for Stelara to work. Can you please share your experience with me? My Crohn’s is mostly in my ileum.

Scipio

I have ileal Crohn's also. My symptoms were much reduced and my gut showed a clean colonoscopy a little over 3 months after the initial dose of Stelara. However, your mileage may vary. It is commonly reported both here and in the medical literature that it can take up to 6 months for the benefits of Stelara to fully kick in.

my little penguin

Staff member
At 6 months of Stelara Ds had a colonoscopy
Which showed minimally active chronic illeitis
So the gut was healing
Symptoms also decreased a lot by six months
Good luck

Scipio

I first noticed a reduction in abdominal pain (my most common symptom) about 2 or 3 weeks after the loading dose.

It took me until the first maintenance dose to be able to fully wean off of prednisone (when I tried earlier after the loading dose I would flare). Even then I had a couple of painful flareups. Once I got the second maintenance dose, things have been much better, though not entirely symptom free. The third dose should be this weekend.