• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long is necessary to become anemic?

I've had pretty large amounts of blood in my stool for six consecutive days. I do have a GI appointment set up in four days, and I'm on iron tablets...but will I become anemic or will my iron stores be too low by my appointment? I've never had a whole lot of blood in my stool, so this is pretty new to me.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
If you're taking iron regularily, I would think you'd be alright. It doesn't sound like you're dripping blood like I do on occcasion (although it can be pretty scary if you're seeing it for the first time). I too am taking iron, but haven't gotten to the point of being anemic very often.

You say that you've got an appt with your doctor in 4 days? I would still bring this up with your doctor when you go to see what he/she says.

If you were not on the low side originally you will likely be okay but I would for sure mention it to your doctor, if it isn't resolved soon you will end up anemic very fast.

I am on the low side, pretty much constantly. There actually is a large amount of blood in my stool....so I'm concerned.

afidz

Super Moderator
If you feel light headed or dizzy or feel pain in your extremities , it is a good idea to go to the emergency room. If your iron gets too low, it can be dangerous. However, it takes quite a bit for it to get to that level, just keep an eye on things, call your doctor with any and all concerns and take it easy until your appointment.

theOcean

Agreed with Afidz: keep an eye on things and maybe in the meantime, you can ask your GP for a blood test to check on your hemoglobin/iron levels to make sure things aren't low. If they are: look into maybe taking proferrin, which is a non-constipating iron supplement I really recommend.

And otherwise: what medication are you taking? If you're experiencing bleeding, you should probably let your GI know in case they think your treatment plan should be adjusted. :( It's a good thing you have an appointment so soon. Good luck!

If you feel light headed or dizzy or feel pain in your extremities , it is a good idea to go to the emergency room. If your iron gets too low, it can be dangerous. However, it takes quite a bit for it to get to that level, just keep an eye on things, call your doctor with any and all concerns and take it easy until your appointment.
I second that.

Getting breathless is also a sign you need urgent medical care to be safe.

My haemoglobin got down to 6 before my anaemia was found so I know alot of the danger signs!

I did give my GI a heads-up about my situation yesterday (they had been closed for the holiday) and they gave me a stool test. I'm concerned though, because the last few days I've been extremely tired and cold, which is not normal for me as I am usually on the warmer side.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
When is your appt again? I'm wondering about the thought of your maybe calling into the office to see if you might be able to see your doctor earlier...

Another thought is to call the advice nurse and maybe she'd have a little pull as far as getting you in sooner...

afidz

Super Moderator
If you are concerned about your counts being too low, you can go to the er. They can tell you with in an hour. Most places anything under 8 is grounds for a blood transfusion.

My appointment is Thursday. I'm quite pale these last few days, so I wouldn't be surprised if my counts were low. I did talk to my GI office and they said they couldn't get me in any sooner, so I guess I will wait it out unless I am worse. Thanks for all of your input everyone!