• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long post surgery did the diarhea stop?

Hi
I'm so tired of the continuous Diarhea limiting me in every way , I can't do anything that requires me to go out of the house.

It's been over 6 months since my surgery and I still have d, while the surgeon told me before I do the surgery that I would take only up to 6 months for it to slow down.

How long did it take for yours to slow down after your resection ?

Knowing that I had only 1 foot of my ileum removed.:ybatty:

Diahorrea was never one of my big problems pre surgery - I actually have a few more issues with it post op! I'm sorry to hear you are having issues, that must be very frustrating.
Did you have your caecum and IC valve removed? I did and find that if I eat too many fatty foods and also sugary foods, that will set the diahorrea off. Are you taking anything to help slow it down? I know some people with short bowel syndrome ( although I know you and I both had only a foot removed ) are prescribed Questran or take psyllium husk to try to keep it under control.

Diahorrea was never one of my big problems pre surgery - I actually have a few more issues with it post op! I'm sorry to hear you are having issues, that must be very frustrating.
Did you have your caecum and IC valve removed? I did and find that if I eat too many fatty foods and also sugary foods, that will set the diahorrea off. Are you taking anything to help slow it down? I know some people with short bowel syndrome ( although I know you and I both had only a foot removed ) are prescribed Questran or take psyllium husk to try to keep it under control.
Well diarrhea wasn't an issue before surgery too my issue was a long stricture. The doctor removed last part of my ileum plus small part of my colon (is it called the cecum?)

Now I am really struggling with diarrhea that it doesn't feel like I am in remission it actually feels like I have the worst flare up of my life!
I am taking questran to control it but it doesn't seem to help much, have tried Imodium but it gave me bad pain.
What do you do to keep it under control ?

Mine only stopped once I started taking Colestid which helps to bind the excess bile,then it stopped immediately. Unless I forget to take my satchet .

DustyKat

Super Moderator
You have bile salt malabsorption ForeverCrohn's. For some it will take up naturally quite early on but for others not. As has already been suggested there are options to relieve the problem. Prescription meds like Colestid or Questran or products like psyllium husks.

Both of my children use psyllium with great effect. My daughter had 68cm of bowel removed and my son 28cm. Naturally my daughter's diarrhoea was far worse than my son's but she is 7 years post op now and over that time has had natural take up plus I think her diet helps, she is vegan, and she avoids oils and fats. She goes once or twice a day and it is solid

My son, 2 years post op, hasn't changed his diet except to avoid oils and fats and he also goes twice a day tops and it is essentially formed or very close to it.

Dusty. xxx

nogutsnoglory

I had no diarrhea pre surgery and now only have the diarrhea post surgery. I regret undergoing my operation and wish I tried other medications before going under the knife.

You have bile salt malabsorption ForeverCrohn's. For some it will take up naturally quite early on but for others not. As has already been suggested there are options to relieve the problem. Prescription meds like Colestid or Questran or products like psyllium husks.

Both of my children use psyllium with great effect. My daughter had 68cm of bowel removed and my son 28cm. Naturally my daughter's diarrhoea was far worse than my son's but she is 7 years post op now and over that time has had natural take up plus I think her diet helps, she is vegan, and she avoids oils and fats. She goes once or twice a day and it is solid

My son, 2 years post op, hasn't changed his diet except to avoid oils and fats and he also goes twice a day tops and it is essentially formed or very close to it.

Dusty. xxx
I am taking Questran but it doesnt seem to help much.

I had no diarrhea pre surgery and now only have the diarrhea post surgery. I regret undergoing my operation and wish I tried other medications before going under the knife.
I totally understand this sometimes i feel that I wish I hadnt done the surgery! But I had a very long stricture for a long time which was getting partially onstructed and I had no idea it was obstructed until my GI explained that my symptoms were obstruction symptoms, so I did it to avoid perforation.

Spooky1

I've had diarrhoea since 13 years. I tried questran which worked for some years, but the immodium gave me pain, as did questran after a time. but even when I could take it, sometimes it did nothing at all to help the D. I have short bowel syndrome now. I'm sorry for your frustrations, but plenty of us do identify with you.