• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long till Humira works?

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I'm new so I keep posting new questions as I think of them...

I started Humira last Monday (December 28) and wondering how long it will take until I can tell it is working/not working? I can't tell it is working yet, but thinking maybe it takes awhile?

Please let me know what your experience was so I can ascertain if it is not going to work for me or it just needs a little more time.

Thanks y'all! :)

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I didn't take it for very long because I didn't see anything dramatic happening. I can't remember exactly how long I took it for...maybe 3-4 months? I needed surgery at that point so I can't really say it was the medicines fault I had no relief...I hope you see some improvement soon. It is so hard to get your hopes up for something to work, and have to wait. Good luck.

For me, each time I started a new medicine ending in -mab, they probably took about 4 days to a week for me to start to notice a difference, though it takes longer for the full effect to happen. Part of this will depend on how sick you are to begin with. When I started Remicade I was in a very severe flare, so it took a couple of months for me to feel fully well again, though the healing process began long before that. When I switched to Cimzia several years later, and then Humira, the effects happened more quickly because I wasn't as sick before I started them.
I hope that helps, and that you feel well soon!

Last edited:
I think I may be in a severe flare, but I'm not sure... I was actually surprised they started me on Humira right away in combination with Entocort. I am still having a lot of bloody diarrhea, but much less than before (before treatment 10-15 times per day; now, about 5-7 times per day); unfortunately the pain and tenderness hasn't really gone away, so we'll see if it begins to clear up in the coming weeks as I've been on Humira a bit longer.

Thanks for the info! :)

Checked in with doc today and my GI said they may start me on Imuran since Humira still isn't working. Entocort works great but I guess they don't want me on it long term.