• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long to feel better after starting Remicade?

How long did it take for you to start noticing the effects of Remicade? I had my first infusion yesterday. I am currently also on 50 mg of Imuran and 30 mg of prednisone, but I am having so much abdominal pain. I am just looking for relief and wondering when it is going to come?

Hi there,
I have had two infusions of Remicade and am on 100mg Azathioprine also started at roughly the same time.

I find my Crohns is definitely much improved already, but I know it varies hugely. The extent of the disease you have and the amount of treatment/surgery you have had as well as your overall health will all contribute to how well the Remicade works. It doesn't work for everyone but I have been told by every expert I have spoken to (and I have spoken to a few!) that this is the "Gold Standard" of treatments.

I am having my third infusion tomorrow. It is the tiredness and joint pains etc which are now taking over in terms of obsessing me. I have also developed constipation (as opposed to the opposite) and that has been a problem which i am going to talk to my GI nurse about tomorrow.

Lots of luck with your treatment.

I didn't notice an IMMEDIATE improvement, it was slow but fast. it has been many years but I believe I realized I was much better within a couple of weeks.