• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long until I can get surgery?

I posted an earlier thread explaining my current dilemma, and I was just wondering, because after my colonoscopy they said they would schedule me for the surgery if I need it, how long did it take to lead up to your surgery (if you’ve had it)? Like, did you have to wait two weeks, a month, a year? Did you have to wait for the insurance company to approve? Also, regarding the after effects of surgery, how long until they had you up and moving? What was the prep like in comparison to a colonoscopy prep? Sorry, I’m just really curious and I’m still pretty young and new to the surgery side of this, so I’m kind of unnerved and looking for some answers or reassurance...

I think everyone is probably different. I was in the hospital three times from the beginning of the year in 2010 because of a flare. I think it was during the second hospitalization that they decided to do the resection. I believe that was in February. The surgery wss scheduled for April 13th. In the meantime, they fed me by TPN to give my intestines a rest. I ended up with pancreaitis so they moved the surgery up a week. I don't remembee the prep. Again, èveryone is different. They tried to get me up and moving the dsy after the surgery but that didn't happen so I wss up and moving tbe next day. After that,i was walking twice a dsy. Sending my support.

I did not read all your last thread.
Surgery is just a tool in the treatment when it comes to Cronh's. Also a colonoscopy needs to be recent to help them to know where there is health tissue when they go to put everything back together.

My last colonoscopy was the first of the year and my GI said nothing was to bad.
Had a CT scan 3 weeks ago due to pain in the ED and they sent me home.
Talked to My GI on the phone and sent me to a GI surgeon the next week. Due to the other stuff in my life I decided to put it off about 75 days.
I have to go to a class 2 weeks before surgery that should help recovery so i'm told.
I have 2 large and swollen chunks of colon that need to be taken out so I will have a longer recovery. I was told I'll be back at work in 6 to 8 weeks on light duty, but only time will tell.