• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many here are on antidepressents for pain?

I was just recently put on Effexor 37.5 mg for allover pain and exhaustion. It is an off-label use, just wondering who else is on Effexor or other antidepressents for the same reason.

Did it help? What about side effects? So far I am just jittery, hopefully nothing too eventful.

Any advice welcome!:ysmile:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've been on Amitriptyline 25 mg for about a year and a half now. I was initially put on it because Entocort gave me chronic, constant headaches. Amitriptyline is very good at preventing headaches, and within a short time of starting it, the Entocort headaches ceased. I stayed on Amitriptyline even after stopping Entocort, because it prevents my migraines pretty well too. I still have the ocassional migraine but not nearly as frequently as I used to. Amitriptyline knocks me out at night too and helps me sleep (drowsiness is the only side effect I've noticed - I take it at bedtime so it's not an issue at all). My GI told me that Amitriptyline can help calm the guts as well and help ease pain, but honestly I never noticed any difference there. From what I've read, Amitriptyline works better in that regard for IBS than IBD. I'm still not fully diagnosed, but both my GI and GP have unofficially said that I've got IBD. Anyway, overall I'm happy on Amitriptyline although it does nothing for my guts.

Astra

Hiya Jeannette

Ditto on All of the above!
But..... I think Amitriptyline has helped my spazzy guts!
The other side effect of Ammy is weight gain!
good luck
xxx

ekay03

My dog has hands!
I am on cymbalta for osteoarthritis pain. it works well for me. I have been on it for 3 months now w/ no side effects. Effexor and cymbalta are both SNRIs. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. It worked really fast too. I felt a big difference the next morning.

i was on citalopram a few years ago for depression but my crohn's was up and down at the time and i have to say the tablets definatley helped my tummy and that nervous pain you can get in your tummy sometimes!

not sure how similar your drug is to it though but the citalopram made me feel a little wiped out so i'm not sure it would benefit anyone with physical exhaustion...if anything it may make that worse.

...i'm off them now of course.

hope it works well for you! :) all the best

I am just now stopping Prozac for anxiety from the chronic pain. It really helped me not get so stressed and depressed about everything. I am now at a time that I feel I can manage everything and don't need the meds. Good luck!

I was just put on a low dose of imipramine. It is an antidepressent but my GI explained to me that it is used in low doses to help control pain and help with gi spasms. I haven't been on it long enough to know if it will help. Keeping fingers crossed!

Hiya Jeannette

Ditto on All of the above!
But..... I think Amitriptyline has helped my spazzy guts!
The other side effect of Ammy is weight gain!
good luck
xxx
I have been on AMMY since 2008 for sleep do to RA and pain and I am on 50mg @ bedtime.... I normally weigh 126 and I am 5/7 I am now 98lbs since I have been so sick and lost 30lbs I have no weight gain with it and never heard that one :(

Amitriptyline 25mg at night helps with the neuropathic pain in my leg as a result of multiple surgeries for fistulas and abscesses in preianal area.

Mark