• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many immunosuppressants?

So, my question is- How many immunosuppressing medications are you on? Do any of you also take antibiotics daily/weekly to prevent infection?

I've been on Humira for the better part of a year. I added in Azathioprine and prednisone after being diagnosed with Autoimmune hepatitis in May. I switched from Azathioprine to Myfortic two months ago, but as of today, will be restarting the azathioprine. I will be on Humira (weeky), prednsione 20mg, Azathioprine 150mg, and Myfortic (similar to CellCept) 720mg. I also will be starting daily Bactrim DS to hopefully prevent any infection.

nogutsnoglory

Just 1 now because 2 was too toxic for my liver. I'm on an antibiotic but not to prevent infection but rather fight one.

I am only on aza. I know the combination therapy between humira and aza has been studied in trial but googling about Mycophenolic acid only showed limited studies performed for it as an alternative to aza. If you are restarting aza, what is the reason you remain on Myfortic? Are you supposed to phase it out while aza starts to work? Humira and aza work in different ways (cell signal inhibition vs. Purine analog) and combination has been studied, I don't think any interrelated effects of all 3 immune suppressive drugs (humira, aza, myfortic) havr been studied.

Just prednisone and Asacol at the moment for me. But we have decided that isnt working (its really really not), and I see a new gasto on the 7th of November to talk about options

The reason for adding azathioprine back in, is that the Myfortic, while helpful to my liver/autoimmune hepatitis, has done nothing to help my Crohn's. Azathioprine with Humira, helped my Crohn's, but did not bring my LFTs to normal/ under control. My gastro and hepatologist work together, and at this time, want to try this last combination of all four drugs (Humira, Azathioprine, Myfortic and Prednisone) to stop both of my flares. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, autoimmune hepatitis is quite rare, with even more limited thearupetic agents than that of IBD. The main goal is to get me into remission, and off of prednisone and go from there.

The reason for adding azathioprine back in, is that the Myfortic, while helpful to my liver/autoimmune hepatitis, has done nothing to help my Crohn's. Azathioprine with Humira, helped my Crohn's, but did not bring my LFTs to normal/ under control. My gastro and hepatologist work together, and at this time, want to try this last combination of all four drugs (Humira, Azathioprine, Myfortic and Prednisone) to stop both of my flares. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, autoimmune hepatitis is quite rare, with even more limited thearupetic agents than that of IBD. The main goal is to get me into remission, and off of prednisone and go from there.
That makes a lot of sense. I was confused about why Myfortic would be provided in relation to Crohn's, but as you say, it is targetting autoimmune hepatitits.

I just can say, I hope it helps and thinks get better :).