• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many mg's of imuran do "you" take?

I'm not sure what mg i started out at but i was on 50mg then up to 75mg. and its seem like for a few weeks i would feel good then my symptoms would start agian. The doctor then put my dose at 75mg and i was good for a few weeks and now im started to have the cramps agian. Just curious what dosage any of you guys were put on. Or if you had similar problems.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Imuran dosage is normally calculated at 2-2.5mg per kilo of body weight.

Both of my children are on Imuran and in remission, so no issues there. My son is on what would deemed his ideal dose - 100mg. My daughter was started on 50mg 5 years ago and because she had no issues the dosage has never been adjusted to the mg/kilo ratio.

Dusty. :)

Started at 50mg two months ago now up to 150mg ,which I take all at once. So far so good ,although I had been taking them with colestid, until I found out on here that they should not be taken together.Ooooops ! another oversight by three different professionals.

This probably doesn't answer your question, but here are a few tidbits of info I 'learned' while taking Imuran. Dusty is correct, dosage is usually based on body weight. I am 120lbs and my highest dosage was 150mg, which made me sick to my stomach. You can, however, split your dosage and take it twice a day and it does help with nausea. My ideal dose was 100mg. Also, my GI said that it is best to start on a low dosage and ramp it up 25mg at a time until you hit your ideal dosage. It keeps the body from being "shocked" by a higher dose. i thnk soemtimes it takes a little trial and error to find a dosage that is effective in controlling your symptoms without making you sick or causing too many side effects.

I was around 50 kg and they started me on 25mg, working up to 100. I'm now about 66kg ( thank you Pred! ) and they upped it to 125. Was started on Remi as the Pred and Aza didn't seem to be dealing with persistent inflammation, but am feeling great after three infusions.

Immune to Imuran?

Started at 50mg 20 years ago, now at 200 mg/day (100 mg twice a day)
Having been on Imuran for 20 years do you find it works as well as it did when you first started? I've been on it for 9 months now since surgery and I'm in a flare up again. Im worried that my body has started to get immune to Imuran. I haven't had any side effects from it. And up until now I've really felt like it's helped. I 'd hate to have to start on new medication. Any advice?

imuran

Hi,
Im on 50mg of imuran since I started which was years ago. Just recently I've had a flare-up and needed to add prednisone..:thumbdown: So possibly the Doc will up my imuran dose. Do any of you on imuran get sick often or catch illnesses often?

I'm only on 40mg.
I started off on 100mg but I couldn't take it because of the TPMT deficieny. So then they halved it to 50mg but then it changed my blood count so I came off it for a while and very slowly got up to 40mg! I don't know how much longer I will be on it, but I think it works really well for my symptoms.

I do seem to get colds and minor illnesses more often. But then I work with young children who are forever spreading their germs,and this year there seems to be a lot going round as my colleagues have also had a lot of colds. The most serious thing I had this year was a stomach bug. One other colleague got it, her illness was worse than mine (I only got the runs) but I took longer to fully recover.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
175 mg. Instructed to take 200 mg as I was getting fistulas on 150 mg, but that dose caused terrible confusion and memory problems (looked like low-level dementia, super fun for a 32 year old), so 175 mg it is.

I get fewer colds and flus because I am so much healthier than I had been in the past few years! My body is more immune to flu etc. because it isn't constantly overstressed by illness.

imuran....

I am taking 100mg now but have had a flare-up and may need to go up on my dose after Doc checks my levels....I'm alittle nervous about side effects....like dementia!!! Oh no!!! :sign0085: Can anyone else list their experiences with imuran??? I have been on it for years at the 100 mg dose with no side effects...and hope that if he increases it I won't experience any still.....
Thanks for always being here forum crohnies....don't know what I'd do without you!!! :ybiggrin:

Hi,
Im on 50mg of imuran since I started which was years ago. Just recently I've had a flare-up and needed to add prednisone..:thumbdown: So possibly the Doc will up my imuran dose. Do any of you on imuran get sick often or catch illnesses often?
yes!!

If anyone so much as sneezes near me when I'm on the bus I pretty much just slump down in depression, knowing I'm definitely going to be sneezing and sick in 3-4 hours.. Then last time I had a cold it lasted for about 2 weeks before letting up.

I was on 250 mg at 150 pounds for a while. Then it started messing with my bloods and they took it down to 50mg with 25mg of Allopurinol to help my body metabolize it. That worked for a while too.

I took 100mg for 7 years but have just gone down to 50mg because of some elevated liver enzymes. Doc doesn't think its related to the Aza but as a precaution has reduced the dose. I guess I'm not your average crohnie, I have an ileostomy and since being in remission my weight has risen to 205lbs (im 5' 6") So strange when I'm so used to being terribly underweight. I think I have had 2 colds in the last 5 years.

hawkeye

Staff member
Now at 150mg/day, the 200mg/day got dropped at the last GI visit in September (white cell count was off)