• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many of you need anti-depressants

Hey guys, just wondering how many of you need anti-depressants or how you manage to cope mentally, I feel like I'm on the end of
My tether... Thinking maybe it's time to get some psychiatric help..

DJW

Forum Monitor
I take them. I also work on the lifestyle changes needed to maintain good overall health.

1. Don't isolate myself
2. Walk every day. Even if I can only go around the apartment.
3. Eat properly
4. Do something I enjoy every day.

Even doing that it can be a battle.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I don't have any side effects. They do take about a month to work. I don't remember what the pharmacist said as far as side effects.

Hello just wanted to see if anyone can relate to me and be of help. I was told I have Crohn's just last month. Before then I have also been suffering from daily headaches and numbness on my hands and a tingling sensation. I ended up at the emergency room and they told me that I had vasovagal syncope. And sent me on my way. I have been to drs and they say all compelling stories. My gastro says it has nothing to do with Crohn's. My cardio says he does not know to much about Crohn's and effecting your heart. And neurologist who has not done a full study and has only gone off my MRI from a year ago and my ct scan at the emergency room says it's has to do with the Crohn's. I am taken a anxiety medicine clonazapan and now they gave me one called mirtazpine 7.5mg and I feel like crap take that med. It spaces me out and makes me feel terrible. I feel foggy headed and like I'm floating away. Dizzy as heck and it seems to only trigger my anxiety more. So I am going to stop it. Sorry to be long winded but the thing is that after all this they still cannot tell me why I am having these daily headaches and numbness. And the hospitals will not admit me because they feel like it is not life treating. I wanted to know is anyone out there having these same issues?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Sorry you're not well. I'd suggest seeing the neurologist for further investigation.

Do anyone of you know a real good one in houston, tx. The one that I have been seeing does not see to concerned.

Thanks

nogutsnoglory

I agree that for persistent headaches and neuropathy a neurologist should draw bloods to rule out cushion conditions and run a nerve conduction study to check for nerve damage.

I take Amitriptyline, and wouldn't be without it. However, it's not Crohn's that causes me to be depressed, if Crohn's was the worst thing I had to deal with, I'd be over the moon. I can't imagine why Crohn's would be particularly depressing, not by itself anyway, and not all the time, though of course it can be horrible in its worst moments.

I do as well and they have help tremendously.

I know it has not been proven but I really believe having active crohns has something to do with how you feel, and I dont mean just mentally how it make you feel but more a chemical imbalance.

Serotonin is produced in not just the brain but also the gut and I am sure it has something to do with it.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I take Amitriptyline, and wouldn't be without it. However, it's not Crohn's that causes me to be depressed, if Crohn's was the worst thing I had to deal with, I'd be over the moon. I can't imagine why Crohn's would be particularly depressing, not by itself anyway, and not all the time, though of course it can be horrible in its worst moments.
80% of seriton is produced in the gut so that gets thrown out of sack. Any disease with inflammation has a higher chance of causing depression. Then theirs the turning life upside down part of the disease. Work issues, financial issues, and not able to do the things you once enjoyed. Depression is far more than feeling down. There are physiological elements to depression.

Hey Joshuaaa
Its great that you are thinking about getting help - So many people need it these days wether they have crohns or not. There are quite a few different anti depressants out there (more options than crohns meds anyway!) And like crohns meds it can take a few goes to find the right one for you - so keep trying till you find the right one:) A couple of other things worth thinking about - Please make sure that your vitamins are all up to the correct level - Iron, B12, D, Magnesium, etc and also get your thyroid checked just to rule anything out there.

Light therapy is another option - however it may depend on what medication you are on and the skin cancer risks there...
I have a light box with ultra blue LED's that I use when I need it.

A lot of people feel that regular exercise helps them - just light exercise helps build up your natural levels of serotonin and gives you a bit of a lift naturally. Apparrantly patting a pet eg cat/dog can too to a limited extent:)
Limiting alcohol can help too, and making sure you are getting out regularly to be around people is healthy too.
I think that talking to a councillor or your GP to start with would be a good step - and maybe setting up a regular walk and coffee or just coffee with a friend eg every Sat lunchtim / afternoon is a good excuse to get out of the house and is something to look forward to.

I would also pamper yourself if you can. Maybe have a bubble bath and a good book? or a movie or two with a friend - something to look forward to and to take your mind off everything. - Just for a while:)

Thx guys, just got prescribed Prilosec, I'm a bit reluctant to start it just yet though as I'm just tryna get over a flare and have upped my imuran and waiting to go back on remicade so I alrdy feel pretty lousy, headaches and nausea etc.. My one concern with this is that it seems to have a focus on seratonin and dopamine? I could be wrong, but playing around with chemicals just scares me a bit, my best friend got schizophrenia from too much weed.. And i can't even smoke it anymore coz I get so anxious, so I don't know if that's something to do with dopamine or what. I know Prilosec is supposed to be new? Like a better version of Effexor? How long did it take for you guys to start feeling better, and did you get your vigour for life back? At the moment I have no motivation to leave the house, iv become a recluse :(

Thx guys, just got prescribed Prilosec, I'm a bit reluctant to start it just yet though as I'm just tryna get over a flare and have upped my imuran and waiting to go back on remicade so I alrdy feel pretty lousy, headaches and nausea etc.. My one concern with this is that it seems to have a focus on seratonin and dopamine? I could be wrong, but playing around with chemicals just scares me a bit, my best friend got schizophrenia from too much weed.. And i can't even smoke it anymore coz I get so anxious, so I don't know if that's something to do with dopamine or what. I know Prilosec is supposed to be new? Like a better version of Effexor? How long did it take for you guys to start feeling better, and did you get your vigour for life back? At the moment I have no motivation to leave the house, iv become a recluse :(
Hi Josh,
I think you should definitely talk to a professional. I'm a bit confused because isn't Prilosec for stomach acid?
Also, there is no medical backing to someone getting schizophrenia from too much marijuana. But you are right, Marijuana is not generally good for anxiety, at least not until you can get it legally where you can get a mellow strand.

I am on Cipralex. I take it for extreme anxiety but it helps with depression and anger as well. I would also have to say it gives me a foundation to stand on. By taking care of the symptoms I have been able to manage and function normally again (with a lot of hard work as well I might add). :)

Sorry I meant pristiq not Prilosec lol, as for schizophrenia and marihuana there definitely is a link... Although I'm fairly confident I wouldn't get it, I have had two good friends who got drug induced psychosis directly related to how much weed they used to smoke, and it was an awful lot.. Not talking about your daily symptomatic relief, I'm talking about cones upon cones everyday.. Though it seems to only happen to trigger it in certain individuals with a genetic pre disposition.. But from what I was told what happened to my friend is his brain couldn't get rid of the dopamine produced from smoking, it built up and up..

I used to use weed everyday, never got anxious, it's not from it being illegal here, my anxiety has cone from when I ate some cannabutter, I had too much it gave me a panic attack, I couldn't breathe, ever since then even one little puff n I freak out. It's ruined it for me :(

Joshuaaa, I think it is pretty normal to have anxiety when faced with Crohns or colitis. Have you tried cannibis oil with very high CBD and very low THC? It has no affect on mental state, just on inflammation. Also yoga and meditation might help your anxiety. I agree with others about regular exercise. Talking to a therapist, a cognitive behavioral therapist is also something to try.

Wish I could get some oil here.. Weeds illegal in Australia, that's why I got owned w the cannabutter it wasn't regulated so I had no idea how much THC to CBd was in it, hence I took too much, if I could get some with just CBd that'd be awesome bug unfortunately Australia is a bit slow in regards to medical marijuana. We have a bunch of noobs in charge

I've been on Lexapro for the past year or so. I tried to ween myself off, and found I was so down and unable to cope with daily life/symptoms. Feeling much better now that I'm back on it.

I started taking Lexapro this last week after three years of being diagnosed with Crohn's. A combination of working 60 hours a week (I work a salaried, white collar job), dealing with my Crohn's, and my spouse leaving me was the straw that broke the depression camel's back. I've probably needed the to take anti-depressants for a while, but I tried to work through my issues to the point of futility.

As far as side effects are concerned. I have had mild headaches, fatigue, insomnia, dizziness, and nausea. Not all at once thankfully, but it's been a ride so far! I feel it helping already and am hoping my side effects diminish over the next few weeks.

While I have been depressed at some points in the past, often related to problems with Crohn's, I have never used any anti-depressants and would not recommend taking drugs for depression, unless it is a severe one.

I am already taking azathioprine, so no need to include other drugs into the cocktail...

My 'anti-depressent' is doing endurance sport and hanging out with friends.

Exercise is an excellent way to help cope with mental health problems. The Olanzapine is also for my Schizophrenia as well as depression. Several suicide attempts because of depression/anxiety. I do what exercise I can but the stupid Crohns limits me.

I hear ya Little Duck!
I finally got in tip top shape and my joints started going to shit and I had to stop my hard core exercising. I have watched the muscle tone deteriorate.

Spooky1

I take Dothiapin, have done for years. Would love to take exercise, but have arthritis, a sore PEG tract and extreme fatigue. At the moment I can hardly bear the pains in the joints in my feet, let alone stand or do something. I also read recently that inflammation in the body does affect the brain chemistry and we do get depressed from the inflammation. There is also something newly diagnosed which is Intermittent Explosive Disorder. That is, as I myself have noticed, very nasty moods happening just before a bad flare up.

Try the anti-depressants for 3 months, Josh, see how it goes. Are you taking D3, magnesium, super-stress B vits etc? They have helped me over the past year or so.

Crohn's since 1989 at age 15. Never taken antidepressants before, but this past week has been rough. I've always felt a little anxious at having to leave the house--accidents and all. The feeling has allowed me to become isolated and increasingly, my wife needs something to change in me. She told me she's not happy and me and my self-limiting are the reason. It shook me to my core! I have an appointment in 2 days. Thank you all for sharing your stories and list of meds. I'm scared to start down the mental health road, but I'm so much more scared of disappointing and loosing my wife. Again, thank you all.