• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many times you been on pred since diagnosis

Hey gang,

Just wondering how many times ppl have been on a pred taper since diagnosis, I think iv been on atleast two long tapers a year since 2012, which is a bit concerning because I now have osteoporosis from it... Generally start at like 40/35mg n then taper down fortnightly or every ten days depending on how symptoms are... The reason I ask is because I'm concerned if other potential side effects, specifically things like necrosis, which I pray I never get.

Since my diagnosis earlier this year I have had 3 pred tapers. The first two were for one week each, the last taper was for a month. Just couldn't get the bleeding to stop.

Wow, all my tapers have been over a few months, I find one month tapers are just too short for me and I end up having to re up my dose... Has anyone has any lasting side effects so far? I.e osteoporosis etc?

SarahBear

The only time I've been on Pred is when I was first diagnosed (fortunately). I had a terrible reaction to it. My taper lasted several months, as well. The only lasting side effect I had was recurring zombie nightmares for about a year afterwards (these started while I was on Pred - every time I did actually manage to sleep, I would have one - for the following year, they were the only dreams I had and I had them once or twice a week).

I'm with Sara and Sue - too much prednisone over my 45 years with Crohns & taking Imuran, 40mg prednisone and Remicade now. It would be nice to find some Antarctic Penguin Liver juice or something that worked better.....