• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How much do you know about the biochemistry of the drugs you take?

While it is not necessary to understand the exact biochemical reactions of drugs people take, I still wonder whether sometimes it does make sense for patients to understand how a drug exactly works in a human body. Simply so people don't have the feeling that they are taking a "black box" pill that does something mysterious, which often creates fear in people's minds of what else it could do. I am not saying that understanding the biochemistry of how a drug interacts with a human body also explains potential side effects (it does not), but at least for me I like to know what the effects of a drug are that I actually take.

So, I start, here are the explanations of how I understand the drugs I take work on a biochemical level (It would be great if people could correct this understanding, if it is not a fair description of what is going on):

1. Azathioprine
Azathioprine is a prodrug of mercaptopurine (which we know as 6mp - the 6 comes from where the "mercapto"-subgroup is added to the purine molecule - the thing is actually called 6-[(1-Methyl-4-nitro-1H-imidazol-5-yl)sulfanyl]-7H-purine). A prodrug is a drug that is converted to another in the human body. Or in other words, aza and 6mp are effectively the same thing just that aza is converted later on into 6mp, which can have some benefits in terms of how people's bodies tolerate aza vs. 6mp.

Azathioprine, once converted into 6mp, is a structural analog to several of the various purines we have in our body. Purines are rather simple molecules, basically two 5-carbon atom rings put together. There are various purines in our body, they notably differ in what subgroups are bound to the core purine structure. For instance adenine (one of the 4 purines used in the base pair structure that make up DNA) has an amino-subgroup (NH2) and a hydrogen atom added at the second and sixth position.

Anyway, we need purines for DNA and RNA synthesis. No purines in the blood would mean cells could not duplicate. 6mp in our blood inhibites the DNA and RNA synthesis as it also has a molecule subgroup at its sixth position (a much larger molecule that is). In chemistry, this means 6mp and purines such as adenine are competing for the same function/"spots to dock" in the blood. Unlike other purines such as adenine or guanine, 6mp doesn't work for DNA/RNA synthesis. Once a certain 6mp concentration is added to the body, the synthesis process would thus need a much higher percentage of the actually working purines in the blood to keep the rate of DNA and RNA synthesis at the level as before 6mp is added. That reduces the growth rate of ALL cells. However, most notably it reduces the growth rate of certain cells with shorter lifetimes such as white blood cells (as cells with a shorter lifetimes have to be produced more often - at least this is how I understood it).

As white blood cells reduce in number, inflammation from an overreacting immune system gets less likely (the biochemistry of that effect is of course much more complex than the initial effect described above and isn't the focus of this thread). This also explains why azathioprine takes several weeks to be effective as the lifetime of a white blood cell is several weeks and only if you inhibit the creation of new white blood cells for about the same length as the average white blood cell life do you end up with a real immunosuppressive effect.

2. Iron supplement (I take iron (II) sulfate - FeSO4 orally)
As most people know, iron is relevant for hemoglobin synthesis and thus the capacity of transporting oxygen through blood (how the O2 to the heme group binding works chemically is more complicated, I understand it's a redox reaction plus several other factors... but that I think is not relevant here).

Iron is principally "stored" in larger molecules in the body - if iron were not bound by other larger molecules, it would have a toxic effect on the human body (by being a catalyst for the creation of free radical). Most notably, ferritin is the long time storage molecule for iron (another less known long term iron storage molecules is hemosiderin). Then there is transferrin which only binds very little of the totally available iron (0.1%) in the body, but is the protein that provides readily available iron for the synthesis of hemoglobin (basically an intermediary between the long-term storage and daily absorbed iron and hemoglobin). As a percentage 65% of the iron in the body is bound up in hemoglobin molecules in red blood cells, about 4% is bound up in myoglobin molecules (a hemoglobin variant in muscles) and around 30% of the iron in the body is stored as ferritin or hemosiderin in the spleen, the bone marrow and the liver.

Having described the above, the obvious reason why one would take FeSO4 in oral form is to increase the intake to increase the levels of both short term available iron and long-term storage iron. It is however interesting to know the biochemistry involved because of the following things:

A. when looking at your blood test, you will usually encounter several iron related tests: the ferritin level and the transferritin level (usually indicated by the total iron binding capacity (TIBC), an indirect measure of transferritin and/or by the measure called "serum iron" which isn't the actual iron in the serum, but is once again the transferritin level). Ferritin levels correlate quite well with anemia, that is in untreated anemia patients where the anemia is caused by iron deficiency, ferritin levels are low while transferritin/TIBC levels are actually usually elevated.

B. iron infusions/injections into the veins is actually not FeSO4 (toxic in blood) or ferritin, but a substitute bound Fe complex, such as iron sucrose, iron polymaltose or ferric carboxymaltose, none of which exist in blood naturally (at least not that I know). They are broken down in blood gradually. One reason why some people do not tolerate iron infusion well is exactly that the iron injected is not in the form the body stores it and needs to be converted first, which can have various side effects and strain the body's metabolism (leading to sickness, fever etc.).

Ok, that was a long post. I'd be interested in the biochemical explanations of other drugs people take or additions to the above.

Last edited:
As a biology major and a pre-med student I am so excited by this post - lmao.
I am flooded with studying right now but I will come back to look at this post a bit later when I finish my school stuff and I'll see if I can contribute in any way :)

Awesome post. I say that and I only just skimmed it so far, but it's already awesome to me. Haha!

Alex- very good post. Your describe the pharmokinetics quite well.
Happy- go to law school :) Just kidding. Medicine is a great profession. I would say study hard, but study long is more appropriate. Nothing in med school is actually that hard, it's just a never ending and always changing amount to know and remember.

The only part of Alex's excellent post to comment on is that ferritin is what we call an acute phase reactant. So if someone has an acute infection, or acute inflammation the ferritin can rise having nothing to do with one's hemoglobin level. Hemachromatosis, chronic transfusions, and Adults Still's disease are also conditions which will chronically really elevate ferritin levels (Happy- that will be on your medical boards at every level :))

Chronic iron deficiency results in small pale red cells, and this would translate into a low MCV which is reported on every CBC. So if you have not gotten detailed iron studies, or afraid the ferritin may not be accurate for any of the above reasons, and you see a low hemoglobin, the MCV can often be a clue as to the cause (of course other things cause low MCV as well, but that's what makes medicine really fun. )

Tesscorm

Staff member
Alex - great post/thread idea! I'm sorry I can't contribute any meaningful info but will be following to learn more! :)

So, I try to continue this thread a bit further with another one of the "harder" to describe meds:

3. Infliximab (Remicade)

It was the first FDA approved biologic drug for treatment in Crohn's diseases, approved by the FDA in 1998. Unlike immunosuppressives, biologic drugs like infliximab are not easily explained molecules, but are whole antibodies, that is massive macromolecules. People who use infliximab know it as a TNF alpha blocker. TNF stands for tumor necrosis factor. People should not be irritated by the word "factor", TNF alpha is just another protein although a complicated one as part of the class of cytokines. Cytokines are a class of proteins which are principally responsible for cell signaling. Infliximab has two areas that can bind TNF alpha. TNF alpha itself regularly binds to several proteins functioning as receptors, principally two transmembrane glycoproteins, one, TNFR1 is present in many different varieties of cells, while the other, TNFR2 is present principally in leucozytes. How the effects of this binding works and the resulting effects of this signaling is beyond my understanding. What essentially happens is that the presence of TNF alpha bound to receptors can "activate" leucozytes and those around them to trigger an immune reaction in that very area.

Infliximab, as said above, binds to TNF alpha, which means it interferes with its primary function, while not reducing its concentration. This is a reason why patients need to be checked for Tb upfront. Latent tuberculosis can spread more easily if TNF alpha's bioactivity is limited through infliximab. Same thing with various other antibodies that are not effectively combated by the body's leucocytes as a result of the inhibition of the bioactivity of TNF alpha, such as anti-dsDNA antibodies that can then lead to disease outbreaks such as lupus. Which is an interesting research area as there are drugs in trial that do not target TNF alpha's activity by binding to it, but to reduce and limit its synthesis in the first place rather than interfering with its bioactivity, which could help with limiting problems with antibody creation or ineffective responses to tb etc.

@Alex Thanks! My new GI has just recommended Remicade + Methotrexate for my perianal fistulas. My previous GI had recommended I start Humira. Now I have to try to understand both of these drugs....Appreciate your efforts at trying to make things as simple as possible : )

@Alex Thanks! My new GI has just recommended Remicade + Methotrexate for my perianal fistulas. My previous GI had recommended I start Humira. Now I have to try to understand both of these drugs....Appreciate your efforts at trying to make things as simple as possible : )
Well then let's continue with methotrexate.

4. Methotrexate

Used since the 1950s in cancer treatment, it's also used for various other immune system related disease including Crohn's, even though in the American
GI society's guidelines just as an alternative to 6mp/azathioprine if and after a patient fails them.

Compared to 6mp which is reasonably well understood and tnf alpha blocker like infliximab, the effects of methotrexate (MTX) seem to be less well understood. MTX is an acid, although that isn't really helpful when trying to understand its function. Just as a size comparison, 6mp as said in the OP is a purine analog one third the mass of MTX at 0.15kDa (kilo Dalton or 150g/mol) with MTX clocking in at 0.45kDa compared to the size of of 144kDa for imfliximab (which of course is a large macromolecule).

MTX works in two primary ways that helps for Crohn's. First, it docks with dihydrofolate reductase (DHRF). DHRF is an enzyme, a large biologic catalyst, that reduces dihydrofolic acid to tetrahydrofolic acid (part of the folic acid biochemistry cycle in the human body). It can dock to DHRF because it is a structural analog to dihydrofolic acid and thus reduces the production of tetrahydrofolic acid, which itself is required in the synthesis of certain amino acids and in addition and partially because of that of certain nucleic acids. Happy for others to jump in and provide more insights on how tetrahydrofolic works as a catalyst specifically, but as far as I understand that is actually not the primary function that helps with Crohn's.

The second primary group of effects (described in detail here, but still not very well understood http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/47/3/249.full.pdf) are as follows: For instance it functions by releasing adenosine which binds to certain receptors that are part of the immune system signaling system by also reducing tnf alpha, similar to infliximab (but not by binding tnf alpha, but by reducing its production). There various other immunsuppressive effects via adenosine release, for instance the effect of adenosine increase on a receptor called NURR1. Even further, other effects such as cell adhesion effects may also help with Crohn's. This suppression of cell adhesion molecule indirectly dicreases the activation of leucozytes.

Last edited: