• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How much pain is too much?

Earlier today I had a colonoscopy, the results showed my Crohns has returned. That was what I expected. But tonight I am in so much pain. My rear feels like it's one giant open sore and my stomach, is on fire, it feels like I have a knife in my side. I only ate a small amount today after the procedure, my dr said I could resume a normal diet. Has anyone else ever experienced this much pain after? This is probably my eighth or tenth colonoscopy and I can't recall it being so bad.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never had pain like that after a scope. You might want to go to the ER just to be on the safe side. When I had a bowel obstruction it felt like my entire abdomen was on fire and I eventually went to the ER because the pain was only getting worse. That was just from my recent flare and not right after a scope. Either the flare or complications from the scope could be the cause for the pain you're in right now.

I've heard mild cramps and aches for up to 3 days after a scope but nothing extreme. Hope you get it figured out and taken care of. Keep us posted. :ghug:

Thank you guys for replying. Last night was rough to say the least. I was finally able to sleep after taking 2mg of hydromorphone. I called my doctor this morning and he asked me a couple questions and said since I'm not experiencing any bleeding or mucus at this time to just give it a day or two, that going to the ER wasn't going to do anything for me that I can't do at home. As for today I ate a small amount at lunch and had to take another pain pill after but it was not nearly as bad as last night. I'm hoping to get into the office to see him early this coming week and start Remicade ASAP.

CLCH,
Only once after a scope was i in pain. I thought the doc had perforated me or something. I called the "On call" doc with his office and doubted it was tht but convinced me to go to the ER. I did and they admitted me with Pancreatitis. That was the last time i took mercaptopurine.
Best of luck to you, hope its not something serious.

Definitely go see your doctor as soon as possible. I've never experienced increased abdominal pain immediately after a colonoscopy. Take it easy and get some rest if you can. Good luck - I hope Remicade works for you. I was on it for about a year (though it was effective for only about 6 months) and then switched to Humira after developing an allergic reaction to Remicade. Humira has worked incredibly well so far.

So last Thursday I went to my doc for a follow up. He said all of my biopsies came back negative for cancer!! But he said my Crohns is all throughout my small intestine, previously I've only had it in my terminal ileum so he believes the disease is progressing. I begin Remicade on Feb 4th, it was the first appointment they had. Just hoping I can get some relief. This has by far been the worst I've ever felt. Thank you all so much for your support :) it's nice to have somewhere to turn when you feel so alone.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Great to hear there's no cancer!!! But, sorry to hear of the progression. :( Hopefully you'll be able to have something that will give you some relief. Please keep us updated. :ghug:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that the Crohn's has progressed. :( Hopefully the Remicade helps. In the meantime to help reduce the pain and any other symptoms you could try the low residue diet and stick with softer foods in general (soups, stews and even baby food (the fruit flavors are what I stick with) etc). Keep us posted. :)

Remicade is such a great medicine! Have faith it'll bring relief! When I have active inflammation, doing an all liquid diet helps me tremendously! I make lots of milkshakes using carnation instant breakfast and use lactose free milk and ice cream! Hang in there!!