• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How often do you need a colonoscopy

How often does everyone get a colonoscopy to check for inflammation. I have been in remission for over a year. Recently my GI scheduled me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy in February. Will I need to go every year for the procedure?

I take Humira every other week. I really think I have mild crohn's as I have no issue with foods or stomach pain. I have been symptom free since starting Humira and even then the only issue was loss of weight.

How often does everyone get a colonoscopy to check for inflammation. I have been in remission for over a year. Recently my GI scheduled me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy in February. Will I need to go every year for the procedure?

I take Humira every other week. I really think I have mild crohn's as I have no issue with foods or stomach pain. I have been symptom free since starting Humira and even then the only issue was loss of weight.
The Dr should adjust depending on symptoms but my Dr always did at least every 2 years

Usual frequency is every five years. Can be more frequent if CD is active.

I learned to control CD through diet. Only issues is occasional abdominal cramps due to reaction to a trigger food. I had CD under control so well that my GI put my next one out ten years because my last colonoscopy was so clear..

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
When flaring, every year or more often as indicated. When in remission, I think I've gone as long as 3 years.....

As I've gotten older, I've gone down to every year, for cancer/disease screening.....I don't have any references on hand, but cancer rates can/do increase as you get older.....I've been diagnosed for about 40 years now, started with the annual scopes within the last 10 years.

Upper scope, every 5 years as I haven't had any issues on that end. Had one done last year, so I'm good on that until 2023.

I started Humira 5 years ago and my doctor yesterday said to me “scans only show me so much” I knew what was coming next lol 😩
So my second ever colonoscopy will be pretty soon :(

Another thing I hate about colonoscopies is that people say it is not that bad. I absolutely hate this when people say that because one, people who say this probably have never had a colonoscopy, and two, they don't understand how bad prepping for one is.

Scipio

Another thing I hate about colonoscopies is that people say it is not that bad. I absolutely hate this when people say that because one, people who say this probably have never had a colonoscopy, and two, they don't understand how bad prepping for one is.
IMO colonoscopy (and I've had several) is one of those things that is "not that bad" once it is over and you are more or less back to normal. But at the time when you are gagging down the prep and enduring a case of induced explosive diarrhea it's really not that much fun.

IMO colonoscopy (and I've had several) is one of those things that is "not that bad" once it is over and you are more or less back to normal. But at the time when you are gagging down the prep and enduring a case of induced explosive diarrhea it's really not that much fun.
Exactly! I totally agree!

my little penguin

Staff member
One thing to keep in mind
Colonoscopy depends on what age you were dx
They scope more frequently in kids since their disease will be with them (some over 80 years )
And two it tends to change rapidly in kids

Other thing I found is the prep revommyfor adults is horrid
The kiddie prep is less likely to cause vomiting (notice I said less)
And easier to tolerate
Miralax plus ducolax mixed in clear Gatorade or flat sprite etc
As an adult (non ibd ) I had a routine scope
Was given instructions for the horrid prep
Just asked if the kiddie version of Miralax/ducolax was ok
Yep
Worked like a charm
Also using calmoseptine as a barrier cream
Requesting permission for Zofran at home etc
All go a long way
Ds has had 7 scopes since age 7
Each time we think ahead and get a little better at making prep day a little less uncomfortable

In 2008 the doctors found precancerous cells and I also have a family history of colon cancer, so I voluntarily have a colonoscopy and pathological study every two years.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I was diagnosed at 18. Since it's been over 20 years since I was diagnosed, I believe if I remember right that my GI said he wants me to have one every other year.