• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How often to have pill cam?

Hi. I was diagnosed my pill cam as colonoscopy was clear. Many people have routine colonoscopies to see how things are progressing but my GI didn't seem to think another pillcam was necessary. Isn't it really the only way of finding out what is happening on my insides? I'd like to know if it's getting better, worse or stayed the same? I just wanted some opinions really....thanks as always!

Scipio

The capsule camera and other forms of endoscopy give the clearest and most direct assessment of what's going on, but there are other methods that are also informative and do not run the risk of a retained camera stuck in your gut.

Lab tests such as CRP, ESR, and fecal calprotectin, can provide information about the degree and progression or remission of inflammation. And imaging methods such MRE and CT scan can give an assessment of gut damage.

I'm thinking your inflammation is in your small intestine? If it is mostly in your jejunum and upper ileum, then a capsule endoscopy, double balloon enteroscopy (where they advance the endoscope much further into the small intestine than the regular endoscopy) would provide the best pictures and with the double balloon procedure, biopsies. If your doctor doesn't want to go with the capsule, then a barium X-ray with small bowel follow through, MRE, or CT scan would work well.

I've had one pill cam. I stopped eating dairy about a month ago and my.faecal calprotectin went down to 74 from 300 but still have symptoms. I just think my GI will think I'm better now! I'm not on any meds at the moment as came off azathioprine as it made me feel rotten! The doc also said not worth doing the double balloon endoscopy as will probably come back inconclusive. Confused!