• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How quickly does it work?

Hello!

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how long have people found it takes Humira to work? I first started taking it in July whilst in hospital, but stopped after the loading dose because ended up in emergency surgery in early August.

I finally started it again on Monday. I've been having a lot of joint pain, and it was hoped that it would help with that, but it seems to be getting worse.

I know I'm likely being very impatient and hoping for a cure all, but are other peoples' experiences?

I have been on it for about five or six months. I am not sure if it is working or not. I have heard where one person had to wait something like five months before it started working. Have you seen a rheumatologist concerning the joint pain.

Tony H

I was on humira for about a year and it improved the bowel health fairly quickly and it gradually improved the pain in my hip (around the 5 month mark) which was the most debilitating but the joint pain i had in my fingers really never went away ,
hopefully in your case it will help , you should really go to a rheumatologist as Ron said if at all possible .

Than for the replies.

When I last saw my Crohn's consultant a couple of weeks ago, he asked about any other symptoms so I told him about the joint pain (fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, and newly in the ankles) and he said 'yes, all part of Crohn's' and carried on with the consultation and examination. I told my GP, thinking they might refer me on but she just said 'you have severe Crohn's and this can be part of it.' They both seem to be waiting on the Humira doing it's thing to fix everything. Seems that once you have a diagnosis of one thing they seem very keen to hang all other problems on it and not deal with them individually.

Tony H

to be honest the year on humira was maybe the best year i had in 35 years or so , basically my life was really restricted and gradually as i felt better physically and emotionally I started living again ,

I live in Ireland and even though its a fairly small country I travelled all over it and rediscovered life and how to live again , humira did this for me and hopefully it will for you ,
When i first got sick , the treatments were very limited, now it seems every few months there are new treatments are coming out ,

Give the humira a few months and hopefully you will have a great year and many more in the future .

Hi, i just started humira tuesday, hoping it acts quick and i can get my life back on track.
Wish all of you the best in recovery and remission.

Good luck to you, too. Certainly sounds like a lot of people have had success with it. Hate how IBD can take over our lives so much.

I had the worst affected section (terminal ileum) removed in August so hope it's not going to get bad enough to land me back in hospital again. Horrid places!

I started humira in January, and was in clinical remission by March which was the first time in 18 months. I didn't really feel like the symptoms were well under control until around 4-5 months in even though my test results were saying I was in remission. I was pain free and feeling great around 6 months into treatment but this seems to be longer than most people.

Humira has worked very well for me but now I am pregnant it isn't working. I am now on weekly shots trying to bring this flare under control. I'm hoping that it will work again for me once I have this baby as the next step is surgery.

I started humira in January, and was in clinical remission by March which was the first time in 18 months. I didn't really feel like the symptoms were well under control until around 4-5 months in even though my test results were saying I was in remission. I was pain free and feeling great around 6 months into treatment but this seems to be longer than most people.

Humira has worked very well for me but now I am pregnant it isn't working. I am now on weekly shots trying to bring this flare under control. I'm hoping that it will work again for me once I have this baby as the next step is surgery.
Are you off Humira now?

Are you off Humira now?
Thanks EmmaLou. Hopefully humira will work great for you.

Ronroush I have been put on weekly shots. Luckily Humira give out compassionate supply as the govt where I live does not allow weekly shots. I have to do this for 3 months and hoping it will be enough to kick this flare.

Thanks EmmaLou. Hopefully humira will work great for you.

Ronroush I have been put on weekly shots. Luckily Humira give out compassionate supply as the govt where I live does not allow weekly shots. I have to do this for 3 months and hoping it will be enough to kick this flare.
I hope the best for you.

Emma I've noticed in the past when i've been on humira it usually starts working after i've been on it for a month. If I'm in a really bad flare it can take two or three months to be in remission. That's just how my body reacts so I think waiting a month or more to see if it's helping is normal. I hope you can get into remission as soon as possible!

Emma I've noticed in the past when i've been on humira it usually starts working after i've been on it for a month. If I'm in a really bad flare it can take two or three months to be in remission. That's just how my body reacts so I think waiting a month or more to see if it's helping is normal. I hope you can get into remission as soon as possible!
Amen

Just don't do what I did I started feeling really good on humira and then something got in my head that I can control my crohn's with diet and MMJ well long story short I made a huge mistake and now paying for it dearly I did have some side effects like feeling poorly and weak for a few days after the shots and had a bit of fatigue but my doctotr should of said not to get off it instead he was if you wanna stop it then stop big mistake on my part.