• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How slow should I go starting IMURAN to lessen side effects?

My doc prescribed me 150mg once a day but I recall feeling horribly fatigued when I started on it a decade or so ago; so I started off w 25 or 50. I plan to take 50 for couple weeks then 100 for couple weeks then 150. Anyone have any thoughts re this?

You can start with a lower dosage and some docs do that, but you should aware that the actual beneficial effext of imuran (azathioprine) only takes effect once you reach the dosage in the effective range (usually 2mg-2.5mg per kg bodyweight). Some people only tolerate lower dosages, in so far as their leukocyte count is at the lower end of the normal range or even below at a dosage below 2mg per kg bodyweight.

Or in other words, there is no reason you can't start with a lower doage, but that means the beneficia effects of aza will take even longer to kick in as they usually do (usually up to 3 months).

If I was you I'd make sure you have a small snack before you take it and literally take it minutes before you go to bed. It's the last thing I do at night before I turn my light off. That way you sleep through most of the bad side effects. I get horribly tired with Imuran so yeah, I take it then drop off about ten minutes later. It's actually helping me sleep.

I wouldn't wean yourself onto a higher dosage, your doctor prescribed you that dose for a reason so you should take the recommended dose and hang the side effects. You might feel kind of crummy for a while but the human body does that when any new drug is introduced.