• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to ensure uninterrupted Humira during relocation

Hi there, does anyone know what happens to our prescription during a move?

We currently fill Humira every month and I imagine when we move our current doc will stop refilling for us. It will be a few months before we see the new doctor at our destination and with the exam and all the paperwork it will be months before a new prescription is ordered.

Does anyone have any experience ensuring they have enough Humira on hand during a move?

my little penguin

Staff member
Your script from the current doc should be for a few refills .
If not we saw the current doc the week before the move to get the script with 2-3 refills
Scheduled the appt with the new location doc prior to the move so we could see them at the new location within a week or two of moving
Then no issues

Your script from the current doc should be for a few refills .
If not we saw the current doc the week before the move to get the script with 2-3 refills
Scheduled the appt with the new location doc prior to the move so we could see them at the new location within a week or two of moving
Then no issues
Thanks! Right now our doctor's pharmacy calls once a month and dispenses Humira for us. If the last refill can be for a few doses, who will dispense the med once we move to the new city?

If we can get seen right away at the new city, wouldn't all the paper work take a while before we can actually get the med in our hands?

my little penguin

Staff member
No you only get one box at a time per fill
Unless your insurance permits a 90 day fill which would be three boxes

Never heard of your setup
We get a script sent to a national specialty pharmacy from the Gi office
They fill the script
The script has 2-3 refills on it
So we can get it shipped anywhere in the US
So we use the app anytime we need a refill

Your insurance sounds different

No extra paperwork
New doc just writes a new script and sends it to the same specialty pharmacy (since it’s across the US) and we get a new refill shipped to us

my little penguin

Staff member
The prior authorization is typically good for a year or two with your insurance -changes docs doesn’t require new prior authorization

No you only get one box at a time per fill
Unless your insurance permits a 90 day fill which would be three boxes

Never heard of your setup
We get a script sent to a national specialty pharmacy from the Gi office
They fill the script
The script has 2-3 refills on it
So we can get it shipped anywhere in the US
So we use the app anytime we need a refill

Your insurance sounds different
Ours gets dispensed by Stanford Special Pharmacy and they can't ship the med out of California. Now I feel stuck.

my little penguin

Staff member
Your stuck
Have the Gi send the script to a different speciality phamacy (Cvs and Walgreens ship across the US) until you switch
Depends on your insurance as to who

Most Gi’s won’t leave a patient without meds
Then it’s not an issue

im in the hills here so they only mail to me......didnt realize there was a thing about state lines tho, could be good to know..

also enrolled in the ambassador program, which can be helpful about my many questions i find....not sure you aware of that or not.

im in the hills here so they only mail to me......didnt realize there was a thing about state lines tho, could be good to know..

also enrolled in the ambassador program, which can be helpful about my many questions i find....not sure you aware of that or not.
My specialty pharmacy (Stanford) only ships to CA, AZ and Hawaii.

You mean Humira ambassador?

crohnsinct

Second having Stanford send script to national specialty pharmacy. Typically the prior auth’s last for 6 months so you should be covered.

The new GI’s office should be able to get a prior auth in a matter of days since you are just continuing a current med.

Last edited:

Lynda Lynda

I've thought about moving out of State, but the Health Insurance / Medication / New Doctors situation seems almost impossible. While moving to a different State how can Health Care be a seamless process ?

I've thought about moving out of State, but the Health Insurance / Medication / New Doctors situation seems almost impossible. While moving to a different State how can Health Care be a seamless process ?
Hi there, I had an advocate help me figure it all out (are you on Twitter? Twitter IBD-verse is amazing). This is what I did:

Doctor:
1) This advocate gave me a few names of the reputable doctors in the area I was moving to
2) I informed our then doctor of our future location and he immediately recommended two names and they all matched with the names from 1). He said early appointment is key and if I couldn't get an appt right away, let him know and he will reach out directly (he knows both personally).
3) I made an appt with one of the referrals and worked around the clock sending all the medical records over to the future doctor (also needed to obtain all the images on a CD). Got on his calendar right away.

Med:
- Our then doctor refilled our med for another 6 months. The specialty pharmacy called our insurance and did vacation override twice so we had 2 months of extra supplies in our hand by the time we moved. Since we will be seeing our new doc next week there would be no need to use up the refill from our previous doctor. But if for some reason we had to, our insurance will dispense it directly thru their partner.

It was very stressful for me for a while but once the steps were laid all out and our moving plan was communicated with our care team then everything seemed easy. The doc/nurses/pharmacy have all handled similar situations in the past and they stepped up and filled in the missing pieces to make it work.

We've moved btw and we will see our new doc next week. Will let you know how the transition works.

crohnsinct

We have moved across the country and two of my daughters have gone back across the country for college in two different areas. Both were on infusions or Humira at the time and we had no problems at all. They came home for school breaks and things transitioned back and forth just as easily. We also recently transferred one of my daughters care to another practice in yet another state and no hiccups what so ever.

It’s easier if you have some advance notice of the move and can call and get in new GI’s schedule as most do book out 3 months ahead but even a last minute move is pretty doable. I think this mom’s hurdle was their specialty pharmacy wouldn’t ship out of state and if I am not mistaken maybe their physician wouldn’t continue as doc of record virtually during the transition? If you use one of the national specialty pharmacies you can just ride out your current prescription (most are written and approved for up to 6 months) so if yours is expiring, your current GI can enter a new one and that gives you 6 months to get on new GI’s schedule. Also, many GI’s if they practice in states where this is allowed and your insurance allows it, will continue to see patients virtually during transition.