• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to explain?

While I KNOW the differences between IBS and IBD, I wanted to do so in a Compare and Contrast essay for college. I just can't come up with another point.

Topic One: Type of disease (Syndrome vs Autoimmune, visible damage* vs non-visible, etc.)
Topic Two: Treatments (Medications vs medications, surgery vs homeopathy, etc.)

I was going to do prevalence or the side effects, but I don't think I have enough information. I barely know much on IBS medication aside from certain obvious commercials. (Mainly because everyone I know with IBS aren't on medication FOR IBS.) I felt like there was a need for me to write this because I've gotten told by (most) people I met that its similar to IBS or they mix up the two continually. (My doctor laughs at the notion that the stomach flu is anywhere close to similar to IBD)

I have both Crohn's Disease and IBS. I don't really know how to tell the difference but I was prescribed Levsin (on a as needed basis) for the IBS.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Interesting.

Is there a medical school at your college? You could also check Pubmed for scholarly articles that might give you some ideas.

I'd mention that IBD like crohns can affect the whole GI system.

Also maybe the struggles/misconcepts

I think the world thinks IBS just means nervous stomach. They don't think of it being constipation or diahrrea. Some people think it's in their heads. Or it only happens with stress.

IBD people - the world thinks it can only be fixed with diet and that they just have urgency as well. They don't think about the variations like skin and bones pains.

Sorry I'm Writin this quick hope it helps

fuzzy butterfly

Check out www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk
The website is full of info.just click on this link. As im sure the US one will be hope this helps 💕
ps also on facebook at /crohnsandcolitisuk.

I'd mention that IBD like crohns can affect the whole GI system.

Also maybe the struggles/misconcepts

I think the world thinks IBS just means nervous stomach. They don't think of it being constipation or diahrrea. Some people think it's in their heads. Or it only happens with stress.

IBD people - the world thinks it can only be fixed with diet and that they just have urgency as well. They don't think about the variations like skin and bones pains.

Sorry I'm Writin this quick hope it helps
I'm writing about misconceptions right now. (Plus, IBS isn't a stand alone disorder. Though, I think IBD can be considered a complication, right? You can get it as a result of a different disorder, like Endo (?) But its not a direct complication. Not sure.)

I'm writing about misconceptions right now. (Plus, IBS isn't a stand alone disorder. Though, I think IBD can be considered a complication, right? You can get it as a result of a different disorder, like Endo (?) But its not a direct complication. Not sure.)
Can you explain further?