• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to Gain Weight After Colectomy

Tony H

Hi I'm two weeks post op and everything is going well , I would like to know from other stoma mates and crohnies about food and snack suggestions which will help me gain weight back ,
for example yesterday my food intake was ,

Breakfast , bowl of rice krispies with lots of milk and sugar ,
Mid morning , two boiled eggs with slice of white toast
lunch , small meal of sliced pork , carrots and mash potato
afternoon , muller corner yogurt
evening another light meal some chicken carrot and mash potato
and I had a bag of crisps (potato chips)

any suggestions welcome , apart from protein drinks as I just cant tolerate them in any shape or form:stinks:

Tony

my little penguin

Staff member
Ask your gi for prescription for semi elemental or elemental formula
Modulen is semi elemental and eo28 splash or neocate jr are elemental formula
Elemental formula is made of pure amino acids (tastes foul to put it mildly )
But requires little healthy intestine to absorb it all

Ds drinks neocate jr orally
Good luck

Ensure has carrageen which is not supposed to be good for anyone. We drink Looking Good shakes by CalNaturale.

Wow really? I did complete meal replacement with it for 8 weeks. To be fair I was supposed to be having 6 a day but anything more than 3/4 gave me terrible reflux. That did stop when I went back onto solid food now you bring it up!

Good to know anyway. I'm still doing half food and half liquid, can you point me in the direction of any articles or reading material on what you touched on above?

Thanks

I don't know how to do links but there is an article on Cornucopia Institute from April of this year talking about this.

Hi, super to see you on the road to a fantastic recovery! (Cheers)
For weight gain I have found nut butters to be helpful if tolerated. A bit of extra protein on your toast ;) Hard cheeses for snacks, bananas, mangos but go easy due to fiber, if you eat meat turkey, (there is seriously a zillon ways to make turkey) and often goes nice with potatoes, rice, etc. Check out Siggis yogurt, low sugar high protein (strawberry/rhubarb my fav) It can be a challenge when trying to gain. You can do it. Really happy for you. The strength will come, please take it slow.

Be well, God bless

Tony H

Hi, super to see you on the road to a fantastic recovery! (Cheers)
For weight gain I have found nut butters to be helpful if tolerated. A bit of extra protein on your toast ;) Hard cheeses for snacks, bananas, mangos but go easy due to fiber, if you eat meat turkey, (there is seriously a zillon ways to make turkey) and often goes nice with potatoes, rice, etc. Check out Siggis yogurt, low sugar high protein (strawberry/rhubarb my fav) It can be a challenge when trying to gain. You can do it. Really happy for you. The strength will come, please take it slow.

Be well, God bless
will check out the siggis yogurt , I think its available in Ireland , weighed myself today and was more or less the same weight , so at least im not loosing any more , just need to up the calories more , had 4 little meals yesterday including chicken arriabiata which was yummy and caused no problems , must try the bananas as well , thanks for all the suggestions , they are really helpful .

Tony H

Feel like I'm boasting but gained another pound today ,
In the space of 4 days I have gone from 147 lbs to 150 lbs

Peanut butter and avocados are both healthy fats that are good on toast, and usually pretty easy on the stomach. Might be good to introduce as a snack

Tony H

Up to 158 1/4 lbs [emoji102] think I might have to slow down .
Had a nice striploin steak [emoji243]yesterday and no problems

Tony H

I think I don't need to update this any more as my weight gain is going really well , just weighed myself this morning and I'm 162 1/4 lbs , which is a good weight for me , I will ease off the mad eating and monitor what happens [emoji486][emoji488][emoji243][emoji239][emoji102]

Got my maths wrong [emoji39] so had to edit

Tony H

I have reached my goal , im 168 lbs , I have to stop the mad eating now I think , I cant believe I gained over 24lbs in just over 4 weeks .