• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to get longer wear from bag

annawato

Staff member
I keep reading about how people get 3 or more days before they have to change their appliance and was wondering how to achieve this.
My output is very liquid so maybe its not possible. I use a Welland convex one piece because I like their emptying system - it has a little tab to help open the 'spout'. I also use stomahesive which mostly helps prevent leaks, for a day anyway. But I'm open to suggestions.
Can you use the barrier rings under convex plates? Has anyone had success with this and do you need to mold them or just put on as is? And do you put them around your stoma or around the hole on the bag?
Are two piece systems secure? I'm scared that the bag will come away from the base plate and also if I'm getting leakage under the base plate won't I have to change it every day anyway or am I missing something about their benefits?
When you cut the hole in the bag should it be snug around the stoma or should there be a 1mm gap as I was told by one of the companies?
A lot of people seem to use and be happy with the coloplast convex. When I tried them with the last stoma I found it difficult to open the spout to clean just inside after emptying. Again, am I missing something or doing something wrong?
And finally, sorry so long, when I've used the stoma powder I've found that the bags don't stick even though I brush off all the excess - do you need to put skin barrier over it and if so doesn't that just wipe it all off?
I should know the answer to all of this since its my second ileostomy but the system I had in place last time won't work with this stoma cos of its shape. Also thought other newbies may find the answers helpful..............?
:heart: Anna

In my experience I find that the bit that sticks to you, ie the baseplate is thicker on two pieces which means that it takes longer for output to break it down meaning you have to change it. Yes, you so have the added risk of having another section of the bag that can cause an accident but in my experience that's really rare. It will also depend on what system the bag uses to attach to the base plate.

In regards to rings etc, that's what they are there for, to reduce leaks etc but they actually seem to cause leaking for me! I don't know why.

I always make sure mine is snug. As long as its not squeezing your stoma, it should be fine.

I can't really say about pastes or powders as I've never used them!

I had liquid output and stoma adhesive was of no help, it just washed away. I used Eakin Seals from Convatec, used the whole ring, and didnt have leaking issues again. I got 7 days from a two piece system from Hollister. I wish you the best.

2 piece bag, powder hardened with barrier liquid 2 times, and some sort of seal. I ran out of the Eakin Seal slims which I super liked but now I'm just using Coloplast Brava barrier strip paste (its not a paste at all, its just the seal stuff in a stick form) and I mold it around my stoma. Then I use the hair dryer to make sure it sticks onto my skin super well.

THEN I put on the flange. I found out that Coloplast has a really cool two piece system with a click-to-lock bag on it. I've never had a leak from the connection between the flange and the bag, my leaks have always been from under the flange.

Here's the informational about it: http://www.coloplast.com/products/ostomy/sensura/products/sensuraclickpremium?PagePos=1 You can click through the little slide show and look at everything magnified.

You can either get Sensura or Sensura Xpro which is an adhesive for more aggressive output and gives a longer wear time. My flanges are the convex kind.

Anyways... after everything is on I run my finger around the inside of the flange to make sure it adheres to the Brava strip paste and I use the hair dryer one more time to set it. Then I clip on the bag and I'm good to go! I like these flanges WAY better than the Hollister ones I was using simply because when they are removed they don't leave a bunch of sticky tacky adhesive on your skin.

I have 2 full boxes of each of the Hollister flanges and Hollister bags that I really don't want to use because I wanted to see if I can get more of the Coloplast. My insurance won't allow me to get another shipment so I'm going to call Coloplast and see if I can get some more samples. It would be cool if I could find someone else that REALLY wants the Hollister stuff and not the Coloplast and I could swap. LOL

If I am able to get ahold of more samples I will be donating all of my unused stuff to someone in need, cause I only have to make it till January 28th.

Terriernut

Ditto about the two piece system being the one to use for longer wear.

I used to use the rings, and they worked quite well for a long time. However, recently, they caused me more leaks. However, they are excellent for protecting your skin and most people are great with them.

Anna, only use the powder right around your stoma skin. Then it should'nt cause the wafer to lift.

You'd really like the two piece system I think Anna. As for cleaning around your stoma between bag changes, I admit I dont. I just slap another bag on.

annawato

Staff member
Katie Sue I'd send you over the coloplast samples I have but doubt they'd get there before the 28th anyway.......also they are one piece, and I really should give them another go but let me know if you can't get any samples and are interested and desperate. I used one last night and it lasted for about an hour - but I did put it on in the middle of the night after addressing another leak so maybe didn't press for long enough.
Ok, I'm going to be brave and try a two piece system, particularly now I've had a double leakage night! i can see how they'd be good cos you could fill any gaps in after you put the base plate on. Well I assume you can do this?

Terriernut

You'll like the two piece. But as for gaps, you should'nt have any. Although 1mm sounds all good (to a stoma nurse) easier said than done. You are still shrinking though, are you measuring all the time?

I'd agree with 2 2 piece being better for a longer wear time.

I use coloplast sensura 2 piece and they can take a lot more "abuse" than the one piece I used to wear can.

I was lucky to get 2 days out of a one piece and they leaked all the time but now providing my output doesn't get watery which makes it leak I can get 4 days. I had an accident the other day with my 2 piece but that was my own fault for forgetting to clip the bag into place!. They are generally pretty secure. like misty says, the base plate is a lot thicker and i find that I can bath and shower without having to change. ( I couldn't do that before)

I don't use convex ones so can't comment about those too much but I use powder and find that brushing off the excess and then pressing the baseplate down with my hands for a minute or so helps make it stick better, if there is too much powder around it wont stick. It's mainly the area immediately around the stoma that you need to cover with powder. and the seal goes over that which makes it stick better anyway.

annawato

Staff member
I am measuring but after only a very small change before christmas there has been no change since. I'm really peed off at the surgeon for making it the shape it is because its so hard to measure and none of the solutions available for watery output and leaks will work for it. I'll have to get some two piece samples sent out - the ones I have, have an inbuilt collar which is a brilliant idea but my stoma is too wide for one size and too narrow for the other. I suspect the watery ouput is just going to leak under the base plate though anyway. I had another double leak last night, so was up from 3.30 dealing with them, trying to get a bag on when my stoma stopped spurting which it didn't. I used a whole role of toilet paper catching the leakage. Should have just put a bag on over the whole mess but my skin is now so raw from bag changes and leakages that I didn't want to risk it. I kept thinking of Persephone and thinking well i'm not that bad but god its hard to put up with sometimes! I've tried convex with paste convex with rings non convex with paste non convex with rings. Next to try is convex with nothing, maybe the paste and rings are causing the problem.

Anna, do you get your Welland bags from Omnigon? Have you rung them to discuss your problem? Welland make mouldable "washers" that might help you.

I have never used Welland products, so am interested in how you go with them.

Terriernut

Anna, how long till your reversal surgery are they estimating? I am just wondering. That many leaks can't be doing your stress level any good.
:hug:

I've been getting 2 days out of a one piece but am just waiting for next order to change to 2 piece. On another note I had my first public leak today and feel as fragile as I did when miss piggy was new. I leaked out of the side near my belly button. Was sitting at the pub with friends waiting to order a meal when I smelled a rank odour. There were 3 stinky sharers at the table behind so just assumed it was them. Then I realised my tummy felt wet. Went to loo and discovered mess all over pants and singlet but well contained in ostomysecrets band. Raced out told my husband I forgot something and raced home to clean up and change. Output has badly scalded skin. When I got the bag off all my skin was red raw and bleeding. Really strange as I had only changed it 1 hr earlier but was rushing to get out in time. Skin even bleeding where output was.
I am now really worried I can't get a good stick. Any good ideas?

Janette, unfortunately those things happen to most of us from time to time. Can you possibly have a shower without your bag and let the water run over it for a while? Then leave open to the air as long as possible. It will heal surprisingly quickly if you can keep it from leaking again. Rushing to get out in time is always risky as it is so important to get a good seal.

annawato

Staff member
Misty reversal won't be until I'm off the pred for awhile, and can't stop the pred til they find some other med to replace it. Can't start any experimental biologics until wound heals and wound isn't healing so far.............probably cos of pred. Sound like a viscous circle? Have weaned pred down to 10 and when I get the ok I'll wean it further - I imagine I should be ok for a while without any meds since all the diseased part has been cut out but my GI and Surgeon both want to take it slowly.
On the good news front I got 2 nights and one 1/2 days from convex plus paste so am continuing with that for now. The community nurse is getting a stoma nurse out to visit me - I didn't even know they existed here outside of the hospital so she may have some other solutions. No doubt it will behave until then and then leak right after her visit!
Haha.
Susan, I love my welland bags cos you can peak in and see whats happening and they have a great opening system - part of the reason I'm loathe to change to another company. I looked on their website for mouldable washers and couldn't find anything, do you mean the rings like Eakin seals? They do have them.
I really should be doing the ring around to all the companies but just can't summon up the motivation - I rang them all just before xmas and didn't feel them to be that helpful - maybe they all had their heads in holiday mode because last stoma they were all great.
Jaano, nothing like a public leak to take away all your confidence. How are you feeling now? Are the shingles better?

Terriernut

Jan, I'm so sorry you had a public leak! But I bet no one noticed, so that is definetely a plus.

I think most of us will have one in public at some point. And it really, really is awful. Don't let it get you down for more than a day, I think of it as like riding a horse. Get right back in the saddle so to speak.

In regards to the skin, OUCH! Daily changes and doing exactly what you are doing, showering 'neked'. The stoma powder helps alot, but you will have to brush alot off (except right around the stoma) to get that bag to stick.

Do you have any cavillon spray or wipes by the way?

How are the shingles?

I'm still new to the stoma world so don't know much but I've been using coloplast 2 piece system and I've yet to have a leak (knocking on wood!). I don't use any additional ring or paste so far. I've been getting 6 or7 days out of them. I've used the powder on some red skin and brushed most of it if before sticking everything on. The nurse told me to use my hands to warm the adhesive up before putting it on.
Like I said I'm a newbie so I'm sure my input is fairly useless.
Where do most people get leaks from? Why, how do they happen? I guess I want to know what to look out for.
I'd like to try other systems but I'm a bit scared since clearly what I'm using is working so far and if it ain't broke don't fix it, right?
I was thinking I might as well try a one piece since I don't ever take the bag off anyway. Why do they leak more or not last as long?
I assume my lack of leaks has been pure dumb luck so far.

Leaking for me usually occurs from liquid output breaking down the baseplate and leaking under the seal. This occurs more frequently with a flush or inverted stoma. However, I've also had leaking from not being able to get a good seal due to changing the bag (baseplate) during an active period. Sometimes if you are changing the bag due to a leak, you can't wait for a quiet output time and you just have to do the best you can.

I think 2 pieces are way better because if you ARE having leaking issues you can take more time to ensure a proper seal than you can with a one piece. If you are getting that long out of a bag, I wouldn't mess with your products. I didn't change my brand till I had reoccurring issues with leakage (mostly due to my flush stoma). I cahnged from a regular baseplate to a convex one.

I'd say, like you do, to stick with what's working for you. If you're getting that much time out of a baseplate that's brilliant!

Personally, Although I don't get full on leaks anymore when I did they were always at the bottom of my stoma, because my stoma points downwards and I've got a bit of a dent underneath which makes it a bit tricky to get the baseplate to stick. I still get a bit of seepage under that area, but I don't allow it to get to the point where it could leak. I can see when it's getting near to a leaking stage when the bit of baseplate directly around my stoma starts to come loose. When I was having proper leaks I'd always see a bit of a dark area near the outer edge of the baseplate.

But yes, stick with what's working!

Do u think I could try variations from the same manufacturer? I would really like to try something with a lower profile. That's why I was interested in one piece or coloplast has a two piece system that goes together with stickers instead of the click and lock. I just don't know if I'd trust the sticky not to leak or pull apart.
The one problem I have with the coloplast is that I can't pull the bag off. I just can't seem to get a good enough grip on it to pull.

I know what you mean, I use the coloplast click ones too. I've got some samples of the flex bags, but I'm a bit nervous to try them. I'm not sure if anyone on here uses them.

I don't understand what you mean about not being able to get the bag off. Do you mean from the baseplate? I just unclick it, then holding that part pull away from me (I use my thumb as a kind of lever to push on the baseplate at the same time.)

Sorry yes I mean from the base plate. I know it should be easy but I seem to have a hard time pulling it apart. I can't get a good grip. My fingers slip off when I pull. Maybe I just need practice.
I ordered samples of the flex fit ones too. Let me know if you try them and how you like them. I think I may have ordered mini bags with them so I don't know how much wear I will get out of those.

Just took mine off to check what I do.
Unclick the bag, then holding the clicky part between my thumb and forefinger I kind of bend it up and away from me. Does that help?

If anything I have trouble putting it back on!

Well and that's the other thing I'm afraid of. Once I get it off I might not get it back on as securely as it was to begin with. I've only done anything to it in pressence of a nurse so far and sometimes it takes both me and the nurse pushing on it to make sure its on right. My surgery was three weeks ago and the last time I changed the bag I was still pretty tender. I'll probably change it tomorrow and since my tummy isn't as sore I may find it easier.

Terriernut

Amy, that is the reason I use the coloplast sensura 'flex'. I couldn't take the pushing required for the 'click' system. (because of the huge hernia)

Also, it's alot safer to Burp!

Ahh Misty, you use the flex bags!
Do they feel they really secure? Once you've stuck the bag on, can you take it off and put it back on again?

Terriernut

Well ladies, I love the flex system!!!!! (almost as much as mascara)

I wouldn't take a bag all the way off and put it back on, but I guess you could. I burp mine frequently.

They are a breeze to change. They have several different sized bags too. So, you could use a really small one for discretion, or a big one for high output days. Medium sized for normal days.

They are just sooooo easy, that's the best bit.

annawato

Staff member
Are they the ones that have the mouldable seal inbuilt? I have samples of them to try but like Amy am a bit scared of them.
Amy no problem with hijacking the thread - its all interesting input and I've done it to you lots of times. Its very easy to be reading a thread and it makes you think of something thats bothering you so you just type away. :thumleft:
As for leaks, I get them cos my output is so liquid and it just seeps under the baseplate and eats its way through paste and rings and skin and baseplate until it escapes either from side or bottom depending on which way it escaped! So far this time its only happened at night in bed but last time I had a few public leaks - worst was in a changeroom in a big shopping centre. Had to buy the clothes then go to the disabled toilets to clean up and change everything including clothes! Disabled toilets are the best for us because they are (usually) cleaner, more roomy so you've got space to lay everything out plus they are more private so don't have to worry about smell etc.
I prefer one piece cos of the lower profile but think I may have to change to two piece depending on whether my present system continues to work..............
Getting seven days is fantastic - if you dont have liquid output (unless you have fish and chips) you may find the one piece work just as well. You can always try some samples and go back to your present system if they don't work. Or you may find the sensura flex do the trick.
Misty I love my mascara too. More than my Welland bags. :)

annawato

Staff member
Well tried the two piece mouldable seal from convatec - its a great system in that that you don't have to cut and the seal swells up around the stoma. However I still had leakage and so burning of the skin around the stoma. I think its just a fact of life with such watery output and since I have to change the whole system each day I might as well use a one piece. Have now reverted to my original welland convex with paste but still getting seepage and buring around the stoma. Its raw and bleeding. Have tried stomahesive powder using katiesues method and had some success.:thumright: I think I just have to wait until the area heals and hopefully scars and toughens up .:mad2: In the meantime its just bloody painful, literally.:yfrown: maybe I'll retry the seals.
Thanks everyone for your help. :soledance::rosette1::rosette2::ybiggrin:

annawato

Staff member
Yes I know I'm certainly not alone in this. And eventually I'll find a system that works.
I was thinking of starting some new threads that are more information that everyone writes what helped them for a particular problem such as thickening liquid output, healing angry skin, dealing with leakages, maybe pancaking and smells - so that its easier for people to find an answer to a particular problem. What does everyone think?

I usually use the moldable convatec with some paste around the wafer. I usually get 3 days and its still pretty stuck on. This time I tried the eakin seal slims, not sure how good these are but I'm on day 2 with no leaks. I like 2 piece systems cause I can change the bag without changing the wafer. If you use powder, you definitely have to use a skin barrier. In use the 3m no sting ones. It's like an extra layer of skin. It protects and heals the skin. You may also want to shower without the bag, the skin loves the water. I shower with my bag sometimes, but on bag change day, my skin and Stella loves the water. I've been using convatec moldable since the hospital and since it works I'm afraid I try something else. I also use an ostomy belt to hold it in place for a while after changing it......

I'm really surprised you output is seeping through the paste and rings? Are you using enough paste? And a whole ring? Maybe the hole you are cutting is too big? This is why I love the modable because it doesn't require cutting!

annawato

Staff member
Thanks Nita, I wasn't sure if you could use paste or rings with the convatec moldable, i might get them to send out more samples and try that. Cos of the shape of my stoma I have to stretch the seal on them and cos they are so sticky I had trouble getting it close to my stoma all around, guess I just need more practice.
My output is totally liquid, like water, even with 16 immodium. I can thicken it by eating an apple which I've found in the last week slows it down enough that I don't have to empty it all thru the night. When I do this during the day it doesn't seem to work and I think its cos I'm drinking and eating other things. But I'm very thankful that so far its working at night. Touchwood.
Anyway, its cos its so liquid that it eats thru everything. I'm cutting the hole very snugly around my stoma and use paste about the thickness of what it comes out of the tube. I don't know if this is enough or to much? What I find is that paste and rings raise the edge of the baseplate up so its easier for liquid to seep under, I really need to try with no paste and see what happens but am waiting for the skin to heal enough and for me to be brave enough. :)
As for showering without a bag on, I'd love too but there is never a time that its not active so getting dry and putting a bag on after would be a nightmare. Hmm, maybe in the middle of the night? haha.

Re the new threads I was talking about, I'll start them soon but have been sick the last few days plus the weather has been soooo hot (46deg celcius which is 114 farenheit yesterday) so haven't felt like doing anything. :( But if anyone has ideas for threads or for headings that are clear if someone is searching the problem then post them here and I'll get started in a couple of days.

Anna,

After using the eakin seals, I would never use them again! They caused a leak and I have a small sore around Stella now. I am sticking with my paste since it works. Many people have success with the rings and obviously I'm not one of them! If Stella squirts in the shower, it's no big deal cause I have a removal showe head to clean up. I also tape guaze over her while I'm drying off to catch any leaks. I know what you mean since you said your output is so watery. Have the doctors said why? It should be paste like by now......

annawato

Staff member
The doctors have no idea, I had the same problem with my last ileostomy and they kept me in hospital for weeks cos they were so worried I'd be dehydrated and my electrolytes would all be out of whack, but i seem to manage so long as I keep my fluids and sodium up and take potassium supplements. Could be cos I've had so much bowel removed, but I've still got half left and am unfortunately not losing any weight! :( :)
To be honest I've yet to find anyone who has success with any seals. I keep trying them hoping they'll work but they never do. Its like the bag just doesn't stick to them.
Your idea about taping gauze over Stella gave me the idea to use up samples that haven't worked - I'll just slap one of them on until I get all dry etc and can put one of the bags on that does work. Plus I have heaps of pre cut bags from my last stoma that don't fit this one but would be ideal for post shower safety! :) :) :) :) :)

How much paste do you use? I find it great for helping heal - just have to put up with the stinging when it first goes on if you have sores. What brand do you use? I'm using the convatec but was wondering what other brands were like.

I also use convatec and it does burn a lot if you have a sore. But since it works to prevent leaks, the temporary burn is worth it. This eakin seals suck and I wish I never experimented with with them. Now I have to change my wafer more often until that small sore heals. I still have some left and will probably just donate them cause I no longer need them, along with some other supplies. I'm sure someone should make a no sting paster just like they have no stong barriers. I don't use a lot of paster just a small ring around the outside of the wafer. I never put it directly around my stoma. I sure hope you find a combination that works for you soon.,..,...

annawato

Staff member
I actually used a salts seal yesterday - right after posting that seals don't work cos I ran out of paste. I tried first with no paste - it was a bit of a children do not try this at home experience, totally ruined the little bit of healing that had begun and only didn't leak cos I couldn't stand the stinging. Anyway, I found the salts seal to be quite good - at least as good as I've been finding pastes lately anyway. I put it between my thigh and the loo seat to warm and flatten while I did everything else - maybe the warming helped or maybe salts seals work better. I'll try an eakin one day to find out - when I run out of the salts samples.

I use both 2 piece n a 1 piece at the same time and don't have to change them for 2/3 days at a time although I do put a new bag on the 2 piece everyday but it really depends on your own body n comfort :)

annawato

Staff member
Ok. Seals DO NOT work. (for me) . Had another leak in bed last night. First in a couple of weeks I think. Isn't it the pits, waking up to that that trickling and wet feeling.

I keep reading about how people get 3 or more days before they have to change their appliance and was wondering how to achieve this.
My output is very liquid so maybe its not possible. I use a Welland convex one piece because I like their emptying system - it has a little tab to help open the 'spout'. I also use stomahesive which mostly helps prevent leaks, for a day anyway. But I'm open to suggestions.
Can you use the barrier rings under convex plates? Has anyone had success with this and do you need to mold them or just put on as is? And do you put them around your stoma or around the hole on the bag?
Are two piece systems secure? I'm scared that the bag will come away from the base plate and also if I'm getting leakage under the base plate won't I have to change it every day anyway or am I missing something about their benefits?
When you cut the hole in the bag should it be snug around the stoma or should there be a 1mm gap as I was told by one of the companies?
A lot of people seem to use and be happy with the coloplast convex. When I tried them with the last stoma I found it difficult to open the spout to clean just inside after emptying. Again, am I missing something or doing something wrong?
And finally, sorry so long, when I've used the stoma powder I've found that the bags don't stick even though I brush off all the excess - do you need to put skin barrier over it and if so doesn't that just wipe it all off?
I should know the answer to all of this since its my second ileostomy but the system I had in place last time won't work with this stoma cos of its shape. Also thought other newbies may find the answers helpful..............?
Hi Anna,

I'm a little late to this thread- sorry. Here's my $0.02:

1) Two piece systems are generally more secure than one piece. The second piece fits quite snuggly. If you have any worries, you can also use some 2 inch paper taper around the edges.
2) I use a skin barrier after using the powder. I like the eakin large seals better than the Coloplast ones. I have not tried the ones from Convatec
3) I use pre-cut bags, with a convex wafer. I prefer the Hollister lock and rolls. Only thing is, instead of rolling the tip back to lock in place, I use a clip- I prefer the little bit of extra length.
4) you can certainly use barriers rings, just put them over the opening in on your bag before putting the bag over your stoma. The smaller rings are what I'm talking about here, and they're best used to add some more convexity to your existing pouch. The large seals you put over the skin first. At least that's how the Eakin seals work.
5) A hair dryer is really, really good at drying out the skin before putting on a new bag.
6) I do not use stomapaste anymore, but sometimes I do. It just depends if I need a little extra bit of adhesion.
7) 2 inch paper tape really helps. Whenever I put on new bag I put some two inch paper tape all the way around the edges. I find the tape helps keep my pouch on better than wearing a belt.
8) By keeping the skin clean and dry, protecting it with the eakin large seal and then putting 2 inch paper tape around my bag, I routinely get 6-7 days of weartime.
9) Just remembered, you can also try the barrier wipes along with the seals. Just wipe them directly on the seal and you'll get a bit more weartime than using the seal alone.

I really like the Eakin Slims because they adhered well for me and helped the skin heal. Now I'm having to use the Coloplast Strips and have to mold them around the stoma, which is okay. I can't get more than 1 or 2 days out of my Hollister products, and I KNOW the Coloplast 2 piece click and lock convex will last me like 4 or 5 days but I can't get anymore.

I called the medical supply place and Coloplast. Coloplast said I couldn't have anymore samples and my med supply place didn't have any in stock (by the time they would it would've been this week anyhow and my reversal is next Monday).

But I'm SERIOUSLY considering buying a box or something to get me to my surgery... the skin issues are crazy right now and it hurts super bad. I know I can wear these Hollister ones, but I'm just way too convex right now for the flat ones to work properly.

We'll see. Maybe I'll just change them daily. RAWR.

I miss the days when I had my Unisolve wipes, Cavilon wipes, and flat stoma.

Now I'm out of Unisolve and I have to use a burny ouchy stingy remover if I use one. And my Cavilon is in spray from instead of foam pad form.

Wahh wahhh wahh. Done whining. :)

annawato

Staff member
I tried the Coloplast Sensura one piece convex today. After my leak during the night which was followed by a massive outpouring as I tried to clean up and get a new bag on I found that it was the only one I had cut a hole in so I slapped it on with paste as soon as I could get the skin dry but didn't bother with barrier wipe etc cos knew it would leak before I could get that dry. You all know that rigmarole. Anyway, I changed it this afternoon because I thought there is no way it would last much longer. Now I'm wishing I didn't. I was very pleasantly surprised at the way it had kept output away from my skin by swelling up and hugging my stoma. I just wish they made them with the peekaboo window - I could put up with the emptying system but I really need to know when my stoma isn't active so I can change bags. Anyway I'm writing this so that others know they are worth trying. Misty and Katiessue both love the two piece system too.

KatieSue, did you find with your coloplast that the plate swelled up around the stoma? Convatec have this system but I didn't realise Coloplast did too and couldn't find any mention of it on their website. I think its such a great idea. I hope you can get some more to see yo thru.
Also billions of luck for your reversal - its on the 28th isn't it?:goodluck:

Hobbes I'm doing a you and sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for my supplies to arrive. Got three of my favourites left.............but fortunately a few other samples to keep me going, assuming they work. :)
Thankyou also for your input to my dilemma. I'm hoping this thread will be useful for other people who have this problem so the more who contribute the better.:thumright:

Nyx

I just want to throw my vote in for the Coloplast Sensura 2 piece system. I've been using it for 3 years now without any problems.

....... I'm hoping this thread will be useful for other people who have this problem so the more who contribute the better.:thumright:

Definitely, and I bet there are other good threads around here that are similar. I started needing my supplies before the internet really got going, so I got very "set in my ways". For many years, I was getting supplies from my local store which is always the most expensive way to go, and only getting 3-4 days of weartime. But then I discovered all these retailers online, made a few phone calls and changed my routine now- much longer weartime and much less expensive. It's always good to see what other people are doing because sometimes you'll run across an idea that works for you that you would never of thought of otherwise.

It's always good to see what other people are doing because sometimes you'll run across an idea that works for you that you would never of thought of otherwise.
And the manufacturers/suppliers are always bringing out new things or new versions of old things.

Do you guys have any co-ordinated way of finding out about some of these? In Australia we all get the monthly magazine from the Australian Council of Stoma Associations (ACSA). The suppliers advertise heavily in this and I often pick up something new to try.

annawato

Staff member
And the manufacturers/suppliers are always bringing out new things or new versions of old things.

Do you guys have any co-ordinated way of finding out about some of these? In Australia we all get the monthly magazine from the Australian Council of Stoma Associations (ACSA). The suppliers advertise heavily in this and I often pick up something new to try.
Another reason to look forward to delivery of supplies - the magazine comes too!

Last edited:
annawato said:
KatieSue, did you find with your coloplast that the plate swelled up around the stoma? Convatec have this system but I didn't realise Coloplast did too and couldn't find any mention of it on their website. I think its such a great idea. I hope you can get some more to see yo thru.
Also billions of luck for your reversal - its on the 28th isn't it?
Yeah, Coloplast was just amazing. I also liked the smaller flange footprint that it has, it didn't lay over my midline scar.

Thanks for the luck!

What's best for me is the ole less is more. I have a ring, then my wafer and the bag. When I tried powder and wipes and things it seemed not to stick as well. I know that doesn't work for everyone. I can get 5-7 days out of my wafer. I try not to go past 5 days though.