• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to pronounce...

Azathioprine.
Just started on it and have no idea how to pronounce it 😳
AzaTHIoprine, azAthioprine, azathioPRINE ???
I guess it will vary depending on where you come from, but generally how is it pronounced.
Bunty x
Ps. I like to know these things 😉

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
LOL...I just did a quick search and got this -

azathioprine

[ àzzə thī́ ə preèn ]

Say THAT ten times fast! lol

Ok, so no emphasis on anything? 😁
Will practice saying aza theo preen..aza theo preen...aza theo preen
Yay, got it 😀
Thanks
Bunty x

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My understanding is that it's basically up to you how you want to pronounce it. In my experience, even most pharmacists and pharmacy techs don't know how to pronounce most medication names, they all seem to just guess. I have heard the people at my pharmacy pronounce my meds a variety of different ways (for example, I'm on Lialda, and I've heard it pronounced "Lee-awl-duh", "Laul-da", "Lie-al-dah", etc). I used to be on Asacol, and I preferred to pronounce it as "Ace-a-call". It always made me cringe when some of the pharmacists would call it "Ass-a-call"! :p

Cat, that's probably near to how I would have pronounced it...ass a Coll!
I also take lansaprazole, I've heard that said so many different ways, now I just refer it to it as lanzawhatsits 😊
Bunty x

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Ha ha on the lansaprazole thing, I'm similar with a med that I'm allergic to. Every time I go to the doctor, they go over my allergies - I'm allergic to a med with the brand name of Compazine, but the generic name of it that's in my file is prochlorperazine and nobody seems to be able to pronounce that. :p They're always like, "So you're allergic to, uh.... pro... clora... perz... uh, that?" I'm like, yep, close enough!

In my head, it is A-zuh-thee-oh-preen. (also I insisted on calling it Ace-a-call rather then Ass-a-coll when i took that one lol).