• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How to tell if your sphincter still works

They MRI I had a few years ago show complex fistulae running parallel to the sphincter.

I've recently had stool that feels like a big firm stool. I feel a bit constipated. But the stool ends up being soft sold. I know I'm not supposed to push very hard but when I push very slightly, consistently, nothing happens. When I push hard it creeps out.

Any feedback? Anectdote? Knowledge?

I haven't had a fistula in that area but when I'm flared I get that way.. Like right now. I use a squatty potty now and that seems to help a little bit. Other than that, stool softener. That's about the only advice I can give :(

Thank you for replying Jaime!

But its not even solid! :\
I don't want to go back to straight diarrhea. Waaaaaaahh (sorry I had to have a little pitty party)

Last edited:
:( i'm sure its probably something like stricturing in your rectal area I would think, having the fistula and everything.. I'm sorry you're going through this :(

Well stricturing sounds better than a destroyed sphincter! I hope it's something fixable. . . so many of our ailments are not.

I think I'll stop the lomotil for a few days. See if that helps. It might be a structure, now that you day it.

Do they ever resolve on their own? I've avoided surgery so far (15 years of crohns)

Strictures do not resolve on their own. Once they're there, they stay there. However, if they're minor (in the opinion of your doctor because to US, lol, they are not minor), they can be opened during a scope.

Or are we talking about fistulae resolving on their own? I'm confused. :ysmile:

I have 3 forming fistulas but none that have gone all the way through. I'm also on remicade and imuran.. The remicade is supposed to help heal fistulas, I'm also starting a round of cipro and flagyl which is also supposed to help them heal..

Depends what kind of stricturing.. if its a stricture due to inflammation, when the inflammation is controlled it will subside. If it's from scar tissue then it's there to stay until surgery.

(Sorry wasn't sure if you meant the stricture or the fistula so i covered both ;))
What medications are you on? I hope you can avoid surgery!

Thanks guys. I was talking structure.

It may possibly be inflamation, I've had an increase in anal fists activity since going off methotrexate a few weeks ago.

I have an appointment tuesday

Last edited: