• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Howdy

Hey Everyone!

I have been suffering with stomach issues since my freshman year of college but things got serious about three years ago. I noticed that my "normal" was very different from my friends.

I was diagnosed with Chron's in 2006 but did not medicate or change my lifestyle. In 2008 I began losing weight- roughly 40 lbs in a month- and had trouble eating normal food. I took asacol and prednisone and a handful of other things.

Eventually in 2010 I had a horrible flare and ended up in the hospital after a surgery to correct a fissure. In the hospital I was given Remicade for the first time and have been on it for almost a year.

The results of Remicade have been miraculous on my stomach. I cannot even believe the change in how I feel. However, it has taken a tole on my immune system and I've had a very hard time dealing with Staph infections. As far as I know I did not have Staph prior to Remicade but I work in schools so I'm assuming I picked it up somehow and now my body can't fight it. After almost every infusion I've ended up with a pretty bad infection. The worst were two bumps above my eye (after getting my eyebrows waxed- you live you learn) that landed me in the doctors office each day for a week for IV antibiotics (I begged not to have to be admitted to the hospital). The infections cause problems because if I am being treated for Staph I cannot get my scheduled Remicade infusions so I have not adopted a normal schedule yet. My goal is 6 weeks but I have jumped back and forth from 4-8 weeks.

During my flare up days I also cut out lots of different types of food and have gradually added most back in but still try to avoid corn and gluten.

Aside from the infusions, the occasional (but irritating) staph infections, and the lack of cakes and cookies in my life I'm back to normal and hopefully will remain in remission. ;)

Alex

Hi Alex, great to hear you remain in remission, sometimes it feels like its never gonna happen. I am new on this site but finding it helpful. I hope you do too x

Hi, Alex! Welcome to another Houstonian! It is wonderful that you are in remission & I hope it remains that way for you for all of your days.
Michele

Astra

Hi Alex
and welcome

So glad you're feeling well, hope this remission lasts a long time too!
Enjoy the forum, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx