• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Howdy

Hi All

I'm new to the forum, but am so glad to have a place where I can pick everyone else's brain about Crohn's related issues. I hope you're all doing well and not suffering from any flareups. I'm currently recovering from a flare up and planning to start on Humira shortly, per my GI's recommendation. Prior to this flare up I was on Asacol now Delizcol (what's up with that change up).

Since I'll be starting Humira, soon I have a few questions regarding food/drinks to avoid. I haven't had alcohol in forever, since it only seems to make things worse, mostly my heart burn and while I'm not a heavy drinker I do enjoy a cold beer on a hot day or a glass of wine every once in a while with a nice meal. So first question is does anyone know if you can drink alcohol in moderation while on Humira.

Next, I'm also a huge tea drinker and have gotten into herbal "tea" as well. I've avoided both while working on my recovery since regular tea is heavy in caffeine and herbs can really affect our physiology. Anyone know if caffeinated tea (black, green & oolong) are ok to drink while on Humira. For the herbal "tea" I don't plan on drinking any that extremely strong or have major affects on the immune system, but I would love to still drink camomile, ginger, rooibos and peppermint herbal teas. Anyone know if any of the herbs will react adversely with Humira.

That's about all. Looking forward to being able to eat a more varied diet and getting rid of all these systemic issues popping up.

Cheers
L.

Hello & welcome to the forum! I do not have any experiences with Humira, but I just wanted to say hello & wish you the best with your new treatment plan. My daughter's GI has recommended Humira for her back in December, but she is staying med-free for now. Everyone needs to make the choice that is best for them.

I hope you are able to achieve long-term remission!

Hello and welcome. No experience with Humira, you may want to check the treatment forum. Asacol was discontinue and replace by the other, some said is asacol inside a capsule. there is a thread about it in this forum. I am not sure about the teas and Humira, I don't think they will interfere but better check Humira drug interactions. Sorry I can not help but I wanted to welcome you.

Hi Lisa

Thanks for the good wishes. Interested in finding out how your daughter is doing off meds. Is she following a certain diet to help?

Best
Lindsay

:)There is a girl I talk to alot on this forum and she is definately on humira and drinks tea and alcohol. So, My guess is yes you can. I wouldn't overdo it though. See how one drink affects you first. Welcome too!

Thanks for the "welcome" notes everyone.
Just got approved by Aetna for the Humira so should be starting shortly. Here goes to a life of shooting up lol.

I figure everything in moderation, so I'll apply that to my tea & of course booze drinking. To be honest its more the herbal teas I'm worried about, but I'll double check with my GI doc on it too.

Cheers!

I'm on Humira and drink coffee and tea daily. Didnt read any contraindications for these when I started.

I don't drink alcohol. Mostly just a choice since it never sat well with me. Again, I don't remember reading NOT to drink on Humira, although I would still recommend very little.

Good luck, and hope the drug works well for you. I personally haven't seen any changes with it yet, but it's only been 2 months.

Hi Welcome

I just started Humara today I also have a gluten allergy I have not drank since March and was so sick after 2 I stopped haven't had a drink since I was Dx in April with Crohn's but had been in a flare up since Jan and still in a flare up I'm having trouble finding the right meds to help with the Crohn's Praying that the Humara helps I live in the bathroom makes it hard to do anything outside the house. I do work and I go to the 15-20 times a day!!!! Its crazy!!!!!!!

Good luck keep us updated!!!:ghug: