• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hows it goin

Hows it going guys. My name is David. I am 23 years old, and have been living with Crohn's Disease for 7 years now, and I have to say, I LOVE it! I like to tell my story on how I found out I had Crohn's, because to me, the beginning is funny.

I was 16 years old at the time, and I remember I was at baseball practice. We were taking fly balls out in the outfield, and I was not feeling well at all. I remember looking to some of the guys on my team and telling them I was seeing double, and just was not feeling well at all. We were supposed to take three fly balls for our turns. It was finally my turn, and even though I was not feeling great, and seeing two baseballs come at me, I was able to catch the first two fly balls no problem. My third time up, though, I went after the wrong ball, and the real ball hit me in the head. Needless to say, my ego was damaged. Even to this day, I hear about that every now and then.

But, after that, I went to the doctor, and he said I have the stomach flu. Said the pain will go away soon. Never did. Went back to the doctor, and he said I was just constipated. Pain was even worse a couple days later, and went back to the doctor. And after a day full of tests, in which I felt like I lost my manhood getting an ultrasound on my stomach, and watching soap operas all day, the doctor finally figured out what was wrong! My appendix had ruptured, and I needed to be rushed to the hospital for surgery right that second. The doctor cut me open, only to find out there was nothing wrong with my appendix. But, since they were already there, they figured it was just best to take it anyways. (My old baseball teammates love to tease me about not having an appendix, too.) Doctors thought that still may have been the problem still, and just thought nothing of it. While I was on all the pain meds after surgery, I was finally pain free, for two weeks. Pain came back, and after another full day of blood tests and drinking everyone's favorite drink: liquid barium, they finally told me I had Crohn's Disease!

My first two years was really hard on me. In and out of the hospital all the time. Missing a lot of school, missing a lot of baseball (played my final 2 games during a flare in which I had not had anything to eat or drink for two days) and I was also alone. I knew no one with the disease. My doctor was also awful. He would refuse to see me when I had a flare, and I still do not talk about him to this day.

But, everything is great for me right now. I have not had a flare up since 2008 (got released 3 days before my 18th birthday, and the next week, my parents took me to Disney World!) I have spent the past four summers in the most amazing place in the world, Camp Oasis, and I also run the support group where I live. And now I am here, to meet some new people who have IBD, because I just love talking about poop. I am also here to just go freakin crazy, because that's just awesome!

Oh yea, forgot to mention something I know everyone would love. Took my senior pictures during the height of my prednisone! That was just an amazing experience!

afidz

Super Moderator
Your pre-diagnosis story is a lot like mine. I kept going to the ER with horrible stomach pain. Finally they decided it was my appendix and I went into surgery the next morning. Out of surgery they said it was barely inflamed and that amount of inflammation wouldn't cause the pain I claimed to be in (accusing me of over exagerating) anyways, long story short, my symptoms never went away and I was dx about 5 months later.
Its great that you are actively involved in the IBD community, a lot of people suffer in silence because of the nature of the disease. Its hard to talk about for most people. I am sure the people in your support group, as well as many teens at camp oasis appreciate everything you do, making it ok to talk about poo!
I hope that you can bring your knowledge and experience here with just as much ease, we look forward to hearing from you and learning about your story.
EDIT: BTW I am jealous that you got to spend so much time at Camp Oasis, I was DX as an adult (at 18) and never had the chance to go. Its such a wonderful idea, a place for kids to go with out being judged and able to have fun and make friends who understand

You don't have to be a kid or teen to go to camp! I was 20 the first time I went. Go and be a counselor! Trust me, counselors have just as much fun, if not more fun, than the kids!