• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Human Genome & LGBT/Crohn's considerations

nogutsnoglory

The work being done by scientists on the Human Genome Project is simply fascinating and may hold many answers to our functioning as human beings and could be the key to eradicating or controlling major diseases. There are also some ethical questions arising and what are those implications?

Multiple genes have been discovered to play a role in the determination of someone being gay or lesbian and developing IBD. Interestingly both crohn's and homosexuality potentially share a connection genetically through chromosome 8 (see sources).

The question becomes what is acceptable to manipulate in our genes if a time comes in the future where we can alter the genes of unborn children or even those living? Is it playing the hand of God or nature? Is it OK to turn off the switch on crohns but what about sexuality? Will the ability to switch off gay genes be allowed by the medical community for something that is natural and not an illness or will being gay be considered a human malfunction?

As you can tell I find this both fascinating, exciting and mildly frightening. I'm curious what everyone thinks about this subject matter in light of the new research.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002929707627438

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/feb/14/genes-influence-male-sexual-orientation-study

The idea of playing with the human genome to remove diseases for short term gain is literal eugenics and stinks of incredible naivety and short sightedness. It threatens the diversity of viewpoints in the modern world - we owe so much art, philosophy, and science to those with unusual life experiences because of physical and mental illnesses. Even more insidiously, it threatens our genetic diversity. So many recessive genetic conditions are a boon in the proper situation - one copy of Δ0508, the most common genetic error behind cystic fibrosis, leads to increased resistance to cholera and the severe diarrhea associated with it. The same is true of the sickle cell disease gene and malaria. We endanger our own long term survival by pretending we know what will be useful in the future. It's deeply unsettling scientists are even considering this and it will have negative repercussions so far into the future we can't even begin to comprehend them.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I am really torn on this ngng.

Would I want more than anything in the world for my children not to have Crohn’s, damn straight I would! BUT having Crohn’s has shaped who they have become. I know for a fact that Sarah would not have achieved half of what she has if the challenges of Crohn’s had not been laid at her feet. They both have a greater appreciation of time and in doing so they make the most of every moment.

I think of LGBT the same way, it is a part of the essence of who you are. It doesn’t define you but it is an integral part of you just as being straight is. What would be lost to world if we weren’t able to fully express ourselves and have that diversity.

It is modern medicine that saved my children and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that without it they would be dead. At what point do I say enough is enough? I don’t know, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Dusty. :)

Imagine a world full of straight people...how very dull. Not to say they don't add anything to the world, but the same as if it were just gay people...it just wouldn't be a very interesting existence.

We need diversity.

nogutsnoglory

I am of mixed opinion too because on one hand I feel that our differences contribute to our diversity and also bring innovation and new perspective which ultimately helps humanity to grow. That being said we do alter some things we are born with and where do we draw the line. For example hearing implants for the deaf, glasses for the poor sighted, we have many things that are human invention to ease or eliminate certain natural burdens.

While crohns definitely has changed my perception and my way of being to a degree I would never want this life nor would I want my kids to carry that burden. I also feel that being gay is very hard but that can be changed if society treats people fairly and unlike crohns can be a non burden if it was a non-issue. To be honest I'd rather my kids be straight because I know it would be easier for them in life and I might catch flack for that but I know how hard it can be to come out and be authentic.

So my feelings are that I would alter the genes to stop a disease like crohns but not change natural differences like color, hair, eyes, gender, sexuality etc because those shouldn't have to pose a difficulty and with acceptance of diversity those differences shouldn't make a difference.

Look up designer babies. In the future we may be able to use genetic technologies to modify embryos and choose desirable or cosmetic characteristics. There will always be people who want the perfect baby. Right now in countries like China and India, where boys are valued more, ultrasound is used to find out the gender of the baby so that they can abort the girls.

Look up designer babies. In the future we may be able to use genetic technologies to modify embryos and choose desirable or cosmetic characteristics. There will always be people who want the perfect baby. Right now in countries like China and India, where boys are valued more, ultrasound is used to find out the gender of the baby so that they can abort the girls.
It's really scary to me. We need people who aren't like everyone else and the ability to crudely change edit life won't lead to greater diversity, it'll lead to rubber stamp people you can't tell apart because they cut depression and insanity and sickness right out of them. My partner has Cystic Fibrosis, a genetic illness that can be caused by a boutique of errors as varied as flowers and it's an important part of who she is.

She has bad days where she can barely get out of bed far too often, when she treats her inhaler full of salt water as a third lung, and needs me to help her with everything in her life. But at the same time, if she didn't have CF she wouldn't be the woman I love, and there are so many little things that come with it I enjoy. Her lips taste like salt in the most delightful way, when she exercises hard enough her body leeches enough sodium and chloride to start forming sodium chloride crystals on her skin - table salt, it faintly glitters in the light and feels so good against your hands, the finest, gentlest sand. And somehow, when she's sickest, I love her the most because she looks so...human.

All these little things would be lost if she wasn't who she was, if she didn't have her disease that makes everyday more painful then it needs to be, but her and I wouldn't have it any other way. We both get to see sides of each other that wouldn't exist otherwise. Giving up all that for a few easier days just seems...petty.