• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira and allergies???

Hi,

So I'm hoping some of you guys could help me. I have been using Humira 40mg per week for 3 years now. Last summer I was stung by a wasp for the first time and had a major allergic reaction- luckily I got my GP in time and he gave me Epinephrine in enough time to stop my closing throat. Anyway I got a fright an epipen and continued on with life.

I have never suffered with allergies so this was my first experience with anything like this. To get to the point about 3 months ago I woke one night (about 4am) with really itchy hands and feet. Before I knew what was happening I was tearing my skin off scratching, after that came a dose of the shakes and then I felt violently ill. I thought it was a good idea to go to the toilet to be sick. After a minute on my feet I promptly fainted, my husband kept trying to get me up every time I came too but as soon as I'd lift my head I'd pass out again. I eventually to the bathroom where I slept with exhaustion. My GP said it was a bad allergic reaction, I passed out because of a drop in BP.
That was scary, I hadn't a notion what had caused it. I now take a strong antihistamine daily but I keep getting this reaction. Not always as sever a first mostly but really scary all the same.

So what I'm wondering is could this be linked to the Humira? Has this or anything similar happened to any out there also taking Humira. As I said before I have never been sensitive to anything allergies wise.
Any help or sharing!!!
Please and thanks all so much.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Rugbymom, is that the only medication you're on? Seems odd that you would have issues with it 3 years later but I guess its not too far fetched. If you like we can move this to the Humira subforum unless you feel something else could be the cause. I don't have much experience with allergic reactions so hopefully someone else will be of help. So far all I can really do is say I'm sorry you're dealing with this it sounds awful, bump your thread and move it for you if you like (you may or may not get more replies, I think you might though). Heck I'll just move it anyway and if you want it moved back let me know okay? :)

Hi Rugbymom. I have been on Humira for over a year and have never heard of this kind of reaction to it. Just wanted to say Hi and bump your thread so it stays fresh a bit longer.

Hi,
I know its all a bit far fetched, just looking for a 'Why?'. As I said before I never had allergies before and I know Humira can make you more likely to have allergies to other things but I don't know if that is an immediate thing or if it could still happen after three years.

Thanks for your help Crabby. I'm still trying to find my way around any help really appreciated.

Thanks all

nogutsnoglory

I was on humira and stopped because of these allergic reactions. The hives, fully body intense itching and burning, feeling dizzy. I have been off a few months but the itching and hives never went away.

Hi nonutsnoglory,

I don't think it's the Humira that I'm allergic to as such I think it's making me allergy sensitive to other things.
Feel awful for you that your still itchy. There's times I think the itching is going to drive me mad and I'm going to tear my skin with all the bloody scratching. So I can't imagine how bad it must feel to have it constantly!

Best of luck with it.

Rugbymom

nogutsnoglory

Hi nonutsnoglory,

I don't think it's the Humira that I'm allergic to as such I think it's making me allergy sensitive to other things.
Feel awful for you that your still itchy. There's times I think the itching is going to drive me mad and I'm going to tear my skin with all the bloody scratching. So I can't imagine how bad it must feel to have it constantly!

Best of luck with it.

Rugbymom
Well I had both. I'm allergic to humira and it kicked in other allergies I never had before.

I hope you get well.

I have also experienced new allergies about 2 years after starting Humira. I have never been allergic to anything before. Now, I am suddenly having pretty violent allergic reactions to formerly innocuous things. So far, the reactions are topical, not systemic, like after having numbing creams on my face prior to cosmetic procedures, my face & neck became hugely swollen, so irritated and itchy and painful that I wanted to rip the skin off my face. Had to go on Prednisone 6-day pack to calm it back down.

I checked the forum specifically to see if anyone else has experienced new allergies while taking Humira. So, I think that anecdotal evidence indicates that yes, it can happen.

I have also experienced new allergies about 2 years after starting Humira. I have never been allergic to anything before. Now, I am suddenly having pretty violent allergic reactions to formerly innocuous things. So far, the reactions are topical, not systemic, like after having numbing creams on my face prior to cosmetic procedures, my face & neck became hugely swollen, so irritated and itchy and painful that I wanted to rip the skin off my face. Had to go on Prednisone 6-day pack to calm it back down.

I checked the forum specifically to see if anyone else has experienced new allergies while taking Humira. So, I think that anecdotal evidence indicates that yes, it can happen.
cjdavid,have you alerted your doctor to what is going on? They probably need to put you on another biologic.

I have been on humira for 6 years. I have never had this problem, I did not have any problems with Humira, as of yet. :) <knock on wood>